VMware Communities
cobhc
Contributor
Contributor

'Unidentified Network' after installing VMware Workstation 10 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Hey, so I searched the forums and I did basically everything that I found on here and nothing is working.  I'm on Windows 7.  After installing VMware Workstation 10 and installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on a virtual machine, I'm getting the 'Unidentified Network' that is set to public.  My host machine can't access the internet anymore.  VMware is running as NAT network adapter.  I ran the PowerShell script which removed the two virtual adapters from the Networking and Sharing Center 'Connections' list but its still unidentified.  I tried changing the Unidentified Networks policy to Private in Local Security Policy and now it says "Work network" instead of "Public network" but there is still no internet access.  What can I do?  Nothing is letting me change this to Private and disabling windows firewall changes nothing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Cobhc,

Can you try changing the adapter to Bridged network (with physical replicated) on the VM. I use bridged option and internet works fine with that.

And I am assuming that Internet options are set to "Automatically detect settings" in the IE.

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
FearlessFerret
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Make sure that the network adaptor settings on the client OS have an appropriate "gateway" and "netmask" values set (usually your routers IP address). Without a gateway value windows will consider the network to be public and won't know where to direct the internet traffic.

0 Kudos
tjpsnj
Contributor
Contributor

I think 1004813 is the kb you are looking for.  This editor won't let me paste so I could not provide the url.

0 Kudos
alex3518
Contributor
Contributor

Try this settings, works for windows 7, suppose for all:

Vmware NET settings

vmware unidentified network or no network

in VM settings set only network nat connected & connected at power on !

- Set Vmnet8 (or 1 - not checked ?)

_ If is undefined network check, booth network config, must be on automatic !!! in IP4 & IP6 in host and guest OS !!!

0 Kudos