VMware Communities
gkriggs
Contributor
Contributor

Unexpected error when copying files between guest and host using shared folders

Hello,

I'm using the Shared Folders feature to copy files back and forth between the guest virtual machine and the host machine.  This was working fine using Workstation 7 but since I've upgraded to Workstation 8 I keep intermittently getting the following error when trying to copy file:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file.  If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.  Error 0x800703E3: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Greg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
coalese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've run into the same problem.  Host system is Ubuntu Lucid (10.4) 54 bit.

Reverting to Workstation 7.03 didn't solve the issue, so I'm puzzled as to what might be causing this.

Looks like WS8 is lacking a bunch of quality control....never should have upgraded till 8.01!

<sigh>

0 Kudos
coalese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Managed to fix the problem.

I installed Workstation 7.1.5, the latest release prior to 8.  Then there was a new Ubuntu 64 bit kernel upgrade (Lucid 10.04) which caused all the VMWare kernel modules to be recompiled and reinstalled.  Finally, after starting the VM I uninstalled VMWare Tools, and then reinstalled it.

No more problems...though I'm not sure which of the above steps might have resolved the issue.  I suspect a wrong version of Tools, since the VM had the newer stuff from the WS8 release, even after I had downgraded.

Anyway....until such a time as I'm ready to do complete Adobe reinstalls (WS8 kills Adobe's activation crap), I plan to stay with 7.1.5.

0 Kudos
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyway....until such a time as I'm ready to do complete Adobe reinstalls  (WS8 kills Adobe's activation crap), I plan to stay with 7.1.5.

Uh say what? Can you elaborate on this?

0 Kudos
coalese
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading from 7.x to 8.0 changes the "virtual hardware" environment enough that Adobe Photoshop (and the rest of CS4) thinks you're running on new hardware, and thus breaks the Adobe activation.

To fix this, you need to deactivate the Adobe stuff, uninstall it, upgrade to Workstation 8.0, reinstall all the Adobe stuff and then reactivate.

That's a lot of work and time, so it's preventing me from upgrading to 8.0 of Workstation.

Gotta love Adobe's Activation crap....not!  Nice way to treat loyal (and legal) customers....what a pain.

0 Kudos
gkriggs
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've given up trying to use the "Shared Folders" feature.  What I'm doing as a workaround is to use a network shared folder and copy files over the network, but its a lot slower copying I guess because it needs to go through the virtual network card.

0 Kudos
LaurentJehu
Contributor
Contributor

I've just had the same problem when transferring a large file (> 2 GB). The error appeared at different moment during the copy, but it always failed.
Disabling the anti-virus on the host machine didn't change the result.

I'm using Workstation 8, and the guest is running Windows 2008 R2 with VMware Tools version 8.8.0.471268 installed

Luckily, I was able to transfer the file by going through \\vmware-host\Shared Folders instead of going to the mapped drive letter.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> What I'm doing as a workaround is to use a network shared folder
thats not a workaround - that is Plan A

0 Kudos