VMware Communities
Techdabbler2
Contributor
Contributor

Uncompression error after linux update

I am using Workstation V10.0.2 on Windows 8.1. My guest OS is Oracle Linux 6.5. I have two disks that I host this guest on. One is a 750GB disk and the other a 4TB disk. If I put the Oracle Linux guest on the 4TB disk, boot up and then perform a yum update that includes an update of the kernel, the guest will fail on reboot with this error:

uncompression error

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Pid: 1, comm: swapper/o Not tainted 3.0.13.1.1.el6uek.z86_64 #2

...followed by a call trace

If I do the same update on the smaller disk, all works well. And I can copy the updated guest over to the large disk, and everything appears to work just fine. I just cannot do the update on the large disk and reboot without disastrous results - which makes me nervous.

It does not seem to make a difference whether the large disk partition is MBR, with whatever WD uses to make a single 4TB volume, or if the disk partition is GPT. The result as far as getting through the update is the same.

Anybody know what the story is on this, as in if there is a fix or not? Like most people, I don't like these kinds of mysteries.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Aiden1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

It seems time of up gradation it choose default path and may changed boot order.

What about your BIOS setting mean primary and secondary or sata1 ,sata 2 ?

0 Kudos
Techdabbler2
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why the default boot path within the virtual machine would change because of the physical location of the virtual machine on the host. However, this problem may have been solved with Workstation 10.0.3. I just did an update on an Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine on the bigger disk that included a kernel update, and it worked. I'm pretty sure the same problem was present with Ubuntu as with Oracle Linux.

Or the problem could have been solved by an  update to some other component, like an Microsoft update. From the Workstation 10.0.3 release notes, the only thing that appears to be updated are OpenSSL security related. That could make a difference, I suppose, but it isn't all that clear. Then, who knows what else might have snuck in?

0 Kudos