VMware Communities
jemartinez21
Contributor
Contributor

Unclaimed Free Space from VMWare Workstation storage - Unable to increase Datastore ESXi

Hello,

I initially installed ESXi on a VMWare workstation Pro VM with about 145GB storage capacity. Later I increased the storage assigned to the ESXi VM to 250GB.

However, ESXi can see that storage, it is unable to use it and I'm unable to increase or add a datastore via ESXi HTML5 web client.

Screenshot from 2022-07-05 09-58-31.png

If I try to add a new datastore, via >> ESXi webhost >> Storage >> Add datastore >> Create new VMFS datastore, it shows no devices available with free space:
Screenshot from 2022-07-05 10-11-03.png

If I attempt to increase the capacity of the existing datastore, it bugs out and I'm unable to do anything with it, via "Expand an existing VMFS datastore extent":

Screenshot from 2022-07-05 10-13-33.pngScreenshot from 2022-07-05 10-13-46.pngScreenshot from 2022-07-05 10-14-05.png

This is a brand new ESXi installation that has nothing else on it. I've only just finished configuring the networking and wanted to start adding vCenter. But that shows it needs a datastore with at least 25GB and can't proceed with that.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You take the shortcut via New York while driving from LA to San Francisco

Go the straight road and just add a 1TB vmdk to the Workstation VM.
The rest will be straight forward ...

Ulli

0 Kudos