VMware Communities
Jaehwan_Y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to write to USB device in some VMs

Hi,
I'm using VMware workstation 15.5 and testing some USB storage devices on several VMs installed several OSs.

There was no problem to use USB device in VMs, but recently I found the USB device is not writable in some of VMs as if it is write-protected. These VMs were working normally until recently, but suddenly same USB device becomes in-writable in same VM.

USB device itself has no problem, working nicely in host machine and other VMs and clean-installed new VMs, this situation happening only in some old VMs.

Does anyone know why this happens and how can I fix this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the guest OS of the VMs that are failing to write to USB storage?

If the guest OS is Windows, you might have to check if there is any group policy/security settings/registry setting that prevents writing to ejectable/USB storage and/or makes USB storage read-only.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the guest OS of the VMs that are failing to write to USB storage?

If the guest OS is Windows, you might have to check if there is any group policy/security settings/registry setting that prevents writing to ejectable/USB storage and/or makes USB storage read-only.

Jaehwan_Y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ohhh...Thank you @bluefirestorm . You are right, it seems I forgot that I was tested functions related group policy in those VMs. Now there's no problem to use USB storage on them.

Thank you very much!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos