VMware Communities
leenarajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to work with OVA in VMWare7

Hello Expert,

In Workstation7 I went to goto file menu , click on import/export......after that  conversion wizard..next......source of conversion wizard............next select virtual applicaliances......... next ..................browse give the path of  ova file folder.......

after this i got attached error.kindly help me here

Regards,

Rajiv

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

assuming you want to deploy the OVA, select Open from the File menu and change the file extension to .ovf/.ova in the drop-down menu.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

OVA files are only in theory compatible with different WS-versions.
Looks like your OVA-file is incompatible.
Extract it and have a look at the ovf-descriptor - maybe you just need to modify that file a bit.

leenarajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre,

A ton of thanks for your input here. i kept .ova file in my D drive. as u suggested i taken open from file menu.i got attached error now.

Regards,

VMware Workstation-community-andre.png

Rajiv

0 Kudos
leenarajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Continuum,

I am not able to extract OVA.What modification need here. Could you plz share steps here?

Regards,

Rajiv

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can use e.g. 7zip to extract the .ova file and then attach the extracted .ovf file to a reply post (in order to be able to attach files, click the "Use advanced editor" link). In addition to the .ovf file, please provide a list of the extracted files with their names, file extensions and  sizes.

André

0 Kudos
leenarajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre,

Thanks again for your help. I have extracted OVA file from 7zip and below is description,size and name of file.

HPSW_ITSM_APPLIANCE_V1.mf  Type-MF file size-1 KB

HPSW_ITSM_APPLIANCE_V1    Type-Open virtualization format package file size-9 KB

HPSW_ITSM_APPLIANCE_V1-disk1  Type-VMDK file size-33,384,973 KB

Regards,

Rajiv

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you attach the 9kb ovf file we can have a look

0 Kudos
leenarajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre,

I have attached that 9 KB file.

Regards,

Rajiv

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

As expected - OVA format incompatible - avoid OVA if you want reliable results ...

import vmdk via vmkfstools -i
load the attached vmx and manually add the imported vmdk

Next time better use tar and gzip to compress the vmdk and add the original vmx to the same archive.

Only OVA created by experts may be movable to different versions - dont expect that you can open an OVA from ESXi on WS

leenarajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre,

A ton of thanks for helping me here. I tried to search MR Google for vmkfstools -i but no success. Could you please share some link where i can download this utility.If you dont mind, would you be so kind to share steps for above resolution?

0 Kudos