VMware Communities
WyzrdX
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to upload from Workstation 8 to ESXi 5

Recently I obtained an Intel SMB Server which I decided to virtualize my home on. After many many hours of research, I settled on ESXi as my Hypervisor. I already have a license for Workstation 8 and have been using VMWare for years.

My Problem.

I currently have 7 VM's from Win2003 to RHL. I even have OSX and a NAS VM built on FreeBSD (not freenas). And I am wanting to upload them to the Server using workstation 8. I have the install drive for ESXi (40GB) and 4 (1TB) drives for Datastore.

Connecting to the server in VMW 8 is no problem. I was able to xfer 2 linux VM's to the server and OSX and they run fine. However when trying to upload Windows OS's I get the following error;

"Upload Failed: Invalid configuration for Device *" I have tried it on 3 of the 4 datastore drives. And the Device number changes to whatever drive I try to upload to. Yet even after getting the error, I am able to upload a non Windows VM.

I have searched the forums and Google for 3 days trying to find an answer and havent found one yet. If anyone knows what can be causing this please chime in, or better yet, tell me how to correct it. I dont have much hair left Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WyzrdX
Contributor
Contributor

HMMM It appears I accidentally placed this thread int he wrong section. I appologize for that.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from Site Recovery Manager to VMware Workstation

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sounds like the vmx file of the Windows VM has features that are not available in ESXi.

It would help if you post the vmx-file and the UI-log

0 Kudos
WyzrdX
Contributor
Contributor

Here are the files requested. I wonder if I will need to convert it in order to xfer to esxi. If you see anything that is neccesary to change let me know.

0 Kudos