VMware Communities
llapgochist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to upgrade to 6.5.4

After the 6.5.4 installer uninstalled Workstation and rebooted, I got the following:

pastedImage_1.png

followed by

9221_9221.png

This is on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, on an HP dx7500 with 6 GB RAM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fmanzi71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the exact same errors as above.

I restarted my pc and reinstalled with Run as Administrator access for the updgrade to work.

Not 100% sure if it is an upgrade issue, as i had 6.5.3 installed before the 6.5.4 upgrade ran.

6.5.4. unistalled 6.5.3 and the errors were as above after the pc restarted and 6.5.4 attempted to install.

I am running 6.5.4 on Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit with no issue now.

It would be interesting to see if it works all the time on a fresh isntall as oposed to upgrade method.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
llapgochist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to successfully reinstall and use 6.5.3.

0 Kudos
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I believe Workstation 6.x does not officially support running on a Windows 7 host. It supports Windows 7 guests (Installed as a "Vista" guest), but neither 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 hosts. For that you need to upgrade to Workstation 7. Some people managed to get certain 6.x versions running on a Win 7 host, but it really is a crap-shoot as to whether or not it will run or how well it will run.

0 Kudos
fmanzi71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the exact same errors as above.

I restarted my pc and reinstalled with Run as Administrator access for the updgrade to work.

Not 100% sure if it is an upgrade issue, as i had 6.5.3 installed before the 6.5.4 upgrade ran.

6.5.4. unistalled 6.5.3 and the errors were as above after the pc restarted and 6.5.4 attempted to install.

I am running 6.5.4 on Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit with no issue now.

It would be interesting to see if it works all the time on a fresh isntall as oposed to upgrade method.

0 Kudos
llapgochist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me. I used "Run as administrator". The first attempt uninstalled 6.5.3 and rebooted. Although it may not have been necessary, I cancelled the automatic installation after reboot and selected "Run as administrator" on VMware-workstation-6.5.4-246459.exe. It installed and now appears to be working correctly. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos