VMware Communities
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to updgrade neither install VMWorkstation 15.5.6

I'm trying to upgrade a VMWorkstation Pro 15.5.2 to 15.5.6 and it's totally impossible.

If i tryed to upgradeusing "Help -> Software updates", it download the packages and it failes with the message

"install of vmware workstation pro failed. contact vmware support or your system administrator. "

If i tried to install it manually (after uninstall previous version) i didn't get anything... a pop-up is show shortly, and after nothing happens....

It's quite frustrating...

OS guest: Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.18362

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1505M @ 3GH, 4 cores

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the solution by myself.

The problem is the TEMP folder in the system. Because of my name, the temp folder has a "ñ" character in it. And the latest versions of VMWare doesn't support the use of temp folder with such non-ASCII characters.

I just created a new temp folder called "C:\temp" and changed the environment variables TEMP and TMP of the system to use this new folder. And now it works, without any problem.

It's really amazing, but it's true. The VMWare is using internally some kind of old-fashion code (probably from the 90's) and it's not allow to use a temp folder with non-ascii characters....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you verify the MD5 checksum of the downloaded installation package?

Are you running it As Admin?

You can use the VMware Cleaner in knowledgebase article 1308 to fully remove the older installation(s).

0 Kudos
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware-workstation-full-15.5.2 MD5: 5df0ecbddca4b30a8cd2d1eb23a59d3b

VMware-workstation-full-15.5.6 MD5: 691b29b02ad17536767d6c6316be5511

And regarding the installation i tried with a normal user, and also with Administrator.

I'm going to try the VMWare Cleaner

0 Kudos
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Really no one knows the solution for this problem???

"Install of VMware Workstation Pro failed. Contact VMware Support or your system administrator."

I just tried, again, with the Software Updated of VMWare Workstation Pro

0 Kudos
oscarvalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the solution by myself.

The problem is the TEMP folder in the system. Because of my name, the temp folder has a "ñ" character in it. And the latest versions of VMWare doesn't support the use of temp folder with such non-ASCII characters.

I just created a new temp folder called "C:\temp" and changed the environment variables TEMP and TMP of the system to use this new folder. And now it works, without any problem.

It's really amazing, but it's true. The VMWare is using internally some kind of old-fashion code (probably from the 90's) and it's not allow to use a temp folder with non-ascii characters....

0 Kudos