VMware Communities
AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to take a snapshot

I have just noticed I do not have any AutoProtect snapshots for the last week or so. I have AutoProtect set to daily.

I tried to take a snapshot and reccieved: Error taking snapshot: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to lock the file.

I am in the process of moving to a new laptop.

It received an unrecoverable error at the same time. I have run the script, and will send from that laptop.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you open the vmx-file with a texteditor youi will see this line:
scsi0:0.fileName = "Development-000008.vmdk"

if you replace that with

scsi0:0.fileName = "Development-000012.vmdk"

your VM will run without the corrupt snapshot

AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

OK, copied all vm files back from new to existing computer, vm loads ok, vm takes a snapshot ok, sync'ed files back to my real time mirror to check, now just running a chkdsk on guest (i.e. within vm) to double check!

Is it possible to say what happened, or is it just a like a "normal" hard drive, and things can get corrupted?

And I am thankful I have backups, of my vm files, and real time from within the vm disk.

Thank you for all the help - I have learnt a lot!

0 Kudos
AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

Following on from advise in another of my threads about snapshots, on my new computer I went through and deleted all of the snapshots, and switched off autoprotect.

As above, I had copied a VM back to the old computer, so today I started deleting snapshots there... and received the unable to lock message? I had previously run a chkdsk from within the vm and all was well, and the vm boots ok and I have been using it. Is there a way around this or do I copy the vm which has had all snapshots removed back again - it is now down from 160G to 65G?

What could have caused this?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

unable to lock ... / that may only mean that you still have a .lck directory lingering around

delete all *.lck directories and try again

0 Kudos
AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

I scheduled a chkdsk from within the vm and rebooted, ran to completion without errors, and then tried to delete snapshots again and it worked... after that and after closing vmware ws there was still a .lck directory left, from a day or so ago, so I deleted that. 

0 Kudos