VMware Communities
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to start virtual machine after upgrade to VMWARE Workstation Pro 15.5.5

Today I tried to install VMWARE Workstation Pro 15.5.5 on openSUSE LINUX Version 15.1.

Unfortunately the result was, that I am unable to start any of my virtual machines. For all of them (Windows 10, Windows 10 X64) I get the message:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken.

when I start to resume the virtual machine.

I am able to start the virtual machines when using the previous version of VMWARE Workstation Pro (I think 15.5.2). So there is no problem with the virtual machine itself.

If the virtual machine is down (meaning not suspended) I get another error message. So far my VMWARE environment is not working anymore.

Unfortunately there is no possibility to download Workstation Pro 15.5.2 again (at least I wasn't able to find it). Are there solutions for the problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok

I successfully deinstalled VMWARE Workstation 15.5.5 and I successfully installed Workstation 15.5.2.

My virtual machines run again.

Thanks for the hint

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A. Have you rebooted your host after updating Workstation?

B. You can always download older versions.  On the download page, use the combo box pulldown to select the major and minor versions you want to download.

0 Kudos
greylupi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the link to 15.5.2

Download VMware Workstation Pro

Cheers

0 Kudos
Calva76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Same problem with 15.5.5 on Host is Linux 5.4.0-28-generic Ubuntu 20.04 LTS :

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (svga)

2020-05-29T18:50:51+02:00[+0.000]| svga| I005+ Unexpected signal: 4.

I came back in version 15.5.2.

😉

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Very useful information about that svga error, maybe they changed the VMTools version in 15.5.5.

My expectation is that removing VMTools from the guest (and rebooting the guest) before upgrading to 15.5.5  and reinstalling the Tools (after the host's reboot) would fix this problem.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Calva76​,

I would be interested to see your vmware.log.  If you still have the vmware.log (or vmware-<n>.log) which shows the failure, could you attach it to a reply in this thread?  If you have the option of temporarily reinstalling version 15.5.5, configuring your VM to gather debugging information is likely to provide more detail on what is going wrong, too.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

--

Darius

dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Nukleus2014​,

Please let us know if returning to 15.5.2 was successful.  It looks like you have had to do some kernel-module patching in the past, and although we do try to keep up with the latest Linux kernel changes, it can be challenging, particularly for OSes which are not on our official support list.

The only other thing I can immediately think of: If your host system has UEFI Secure Boot enabled, remember to check if you have re-signed your kernel modules.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

a) yes, a couple of times. Nothing changed

b) I didn't find it, but I am going to seek again

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately my operating system is OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 and not Windows. The link given points to Windows

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to download VMWare Workstation 15.5.2.

However, when starting VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.2-15785246.x86_64.bundle, the installation process complains about a missing library 

/usr/lib/vmware-installer/3.0.0/vmis-launcher: error while loading shared libraries: libpython3.8.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems, that this process needs a specific version of the library, because libpython3.so is installed on my system.

As a suggestion: the process of deinstallation of vmware Workstaion Pro could be automated, instead of manually deleting, renaming and moving files-

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't have any clue about the library situation at the moment, sorry.

Uninstalling Workstation usually does not require any deleting, renaming or moving files... the Workstation documentation has easy and automatic uninstallation instructions.

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please find the log-file added.

I have to think now, which will take some time, until I change things. I fear, if I go on to fast, I could loose all of my data. I used the virtual machine mainly for my document management system, because Linux does not provide such a system.

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok

I successfully deinstalled VMWARE Workstation 15.5.5 and I successfully installed Workstation 15.5.2.

My virtual machines run again.

Thanks for the hint

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello DariusD,

As I mentioned: The return to VMWare Version 15.5.2 was successfull. "All" virtual machines run again.

There is one exception only: during my tests, I shut down one of the virtual machines. I couldn`t start this virtual machine any more. However I had a recent backup of this virtual machine (meaning a copy of all the files of this virtual machine). I copied these files and by this I could revive this virtual machine too.

Yes, my computer has UEFI secure boot enabled. In fact I have 2 different boot paths in the UEFI partitions with 2 different boot loaders. I normally use grub2 to boot and this morning I deleted the second boot-loader, which didn't affect my booting process. Workstaion 15.5.2 still works.

I am a little surprised with your comment, that my operating system (openSUSE Leap 15.1) is not on the list of supported operating systems. I use VMWARE Workstation for many years on openSUSE operating systems and I need VMWARE Workstation (or an equivalent solution). As mentioned before: I have a document management sytem, which runs under Windows only. So I use the virtual Windows machine to drop data-files or read data files from the document management system. Linux in this case provides file server facilities for Windows (via Samba).

I don't understand your hint to check, if I re-signed kernel modules. openSUSE sends about every day or every second day updates and these updates my contain kernel modules of course. This happens for years too and for each of the different operating systems of openSUSE I used in the past and now and it never was a problem. It is no problem for VMWARE Workstation 15.5.2 too. But personally I don't lay my hands on kernel-modules ( I could, but I don't do it).

0 Kudos
Calva76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Of course, here it is...

0 Kudos
Majed17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

on linux  mint mate 19.3 it doesn't install at all!

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,407]

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,407]

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,408] Installer running.

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,408] Command Line Arguments:

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,408] ['/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmware-installer.py', '--set-setting', 'vmware-installer', 'libconf', '', '--install-component', '/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer', '--install-bundle', '/home/ameen/Downloads/./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.5-16285975.x86_64.bundle', '']

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,408] Could not set up curses...  Falling back on null term type.

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,433] System installer version is: 3.0.0.15785246

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,433] Running installer version is: 3.0.0.16285975

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,433] Opening database file /etc/vmware-installer/database

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,732] Initialized UIAppControl.  Located at: /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-app-control

[2020-06-01 17:08:32,761] Top level exception handler

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/db.py", line 31, in decorator

return func(*args, **kwargs)

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/db.py", line 478, in Add

cur = self._db.execute(statement, (path, mtime, fileType, component))

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/db.py", line 233, in execute

return self._db.execute(query, args)

sqlite3.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: files.path

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/transaction.py", line 467, in RunThreadedTransaction

txn.Execute(actions)

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/transaction.py", line 245, in Execute

u.Load(self.temp)  # Up to load to create the connection and set up a remote component.

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/install.py", line 151, in Load

self._installer.RegisterFile(compiled)

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/installer.py", line 399, in RegisterFile

return self.proxyObject.RegisterFile(filename, mtime=mtime, fileType=fileType)

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/localinstallerops.py", line 387, in RegisterFile

db.files.Add(regfile, mtime, ftype, self._component.uid)

File "/tmp/vmis.kSIrJ7/install/vmware-installer/vmis/db.py", line 33, in decorator

raise IntegrityError(str(e))

vmis.core.errors.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: files.path

0 Kudos
Nukleus2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whenever I start VMWare Workstation 15.5.2 the software still tries to persuade me, to upgrade to VMWare Workstation 15.5.5.

Knowing, what can happen if not very careful , I changed to my test-system (operating sytem SUSE Linux Leap 15.1 as well) and tried to upgrade to 15.5.5 from 15.5.2 on the test-system..

The result: This time the upgrade process stops with the message:

There was a problem updating a software component. Try again later and if the problem persists, contact VMware Support or your system administrator

As I am my own system administrator, my system administrator has no clue, how to solve the problem.

My test system has every update installed provided by SUSE. So if there is a question to be answered, some tests to be down, a log-file to be provided: please let me know.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Calva76​,

Unfortunately your AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor is no longer supported by VMware Workstation.  Even Workstation 15.0 was not designed to work on that generation of CPU.  If Workstation 15.5.2 is working correctly, you might be stuck with that until you upgrade your host.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I personally quite enjoy getting 10+ years of life out of a system, and it's disappointing when usable technology gets left behind.  My nice power-sipping Ivy Bridge host (from 2011) is starting to pop up "deprecated CPU" warnings too... :smileycry:

Was there a warning about the unsupported CPU when you first installed Workstation 15?  Was it a fresh installation of 15.x or an upgrade from 14.x or older?  We should double-check that our install-time CPU checks are operating as expected... If you were not warned about the unsupported CPU, we will need to correct that.

Thanks,

--

Darius

Majed17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and what's with linux mint error?

0 Kudos
Calva76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bonjour (hello),

So be it. 😞

Changing a hardware configuration that works perfectly is out of the question.

I would stay in Workstation 15.5.2 as long as possible.

During the proposed automatic update, I was never warned of a compatibility problem.

Thanks anyway.

Regards.