mysweetie
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start VMware USB Arbitration Service with error message: "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified".

Jump to solution

The screenshot of the error:

14.png

I've tested the method in https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20436... , but it cannot fix the problem.

Running net start hcmon in Command Prompt started as admin will get the following message:

The service name is invalid.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

Nothing happens when running "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" -- install hcmon. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and VMware Workstation is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation".

Could you please give some suggestions on how to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

OK, when you issued the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" -- install hcmon

Did you put a space between -- and install? Because the above command has and normally it should not have a space it should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" --install hcmon

instead.

This thread might also help:

VMWare Workstation 12.5.5 / VMWare USB Arbitration Service

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Most likely the way to resolve that is not by trying to repair that broken install, but by an uninstall / reboot / install VMware Workstation again.

After writing the above I just noticed that you had problems before when trying to uninstall, looks like that still did not work well enough for a proper install.

If you still experience the same issue then repeat the above, but disable your antivirus before installing.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mysweetie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wila,

Thank you for your suggestion, but as the issue in my another question, I cannot uninstall and reinstall my VMware Workstation correctly.

My computer is provided by my company and I have another one which has the same antivirus software having the same configuration set by IT, but the VMware Workstation on that one can be uninstalled/installed correctly. Therefore, I think the issue should not be caused by antivirus software.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

OK, when you issued the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" -- install hcmon

Did you put a space between -- and install? Because the above command has and normally it should not have a space it should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" --install hcmon

instead.

This thread might also help:

VMWare Workstation 12.5.5 / VMWare USB Arbitration Service

--

Wil

0 Kudos
mysweetie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wila,

The services can be started now after adding the registry keys mentioned in the thread you provided. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Glad to hear it fixed your issue.

Hopefully it keeps on working as intended from now on.

--

Wil

0 Kudos