VMware Communities
mysweetie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to start VMware USB Arbitration Service with error message: "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified".

The screenshot of the error:

14.png

I've tested the method in https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20436... , but it cannot fix the problem.

Running net start hcmon in Command Prompt started as admin will get the following message:

The service name is invalid.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

Nothing happens when running "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" -- install hcmon. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and VMware Workstation is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation".

Could you please give some suggestions on how to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

OK, when you issued the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" -- install hcmon

Did you put a space between -- and install? Because the above command has and normally it should not have a space it should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" --install hcmon

instead.

This thread might also help:

VMWare Workstation 12.5.5 / VMWare USB Arbitration Service

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Most likely the way to resolve that is not by trying to repair that broken install, but by an uninstall / reboot / install VMware Workstation again.

After writing the above I just noticed that you had problems before when trying to uninstall, looks like that still did not work well enough for a proper install.

If you still experience the same issue then repeat the above, but disable your antivirus before installing.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mysweetie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila,

Thank you for your suggestion, but as the issue in my another question, I cannot uninstall and reinstall my VMware Workstation correctly.

My computer is provided by my company and I have another one which has the same antivirus software having the same configuration set by IT, but the VMware Workstation on that one can be uninstalled/installed correctly. Therefore, I think the issue should not be caused by antivirus software.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

OK, when you issued the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" -- install hcmon

Did you put a space between -- and install? Because the above command has and normally it should not have a space it should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib64.exe" --install hcmon

instead.

This thread might also help:

VMWare Workstation 12.5.5 / VMWare USB Arbitration Service

--

Wil

0 Kudos
mysweetie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila,

The services can be started now after adding the registry keys mentioned in the thread you provided. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad to hear it fixed your issue.

Hopefully it keeps on working as intended from now on.

--

Wil

0 Kudos