VMware Communities
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to restart Windows 10

Following a sudden shutdown of my Computer running LINUX FEDORA, I can no longer start WINDOWS 10. How to repair it?

0 Kudos
52 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@HardelotArques1 

Moderator: You must stop creating more and more duplicate threads on this topic.

Please read the two posts directly above this one - if you create a new thread you must include a description of the problem and the information you were asked to provide, not just a link to this post.

I have sent you a private message, as did another moderator yesterday - please click the envelope icon to read them.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 08.53.04.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know if my virtual WINDOWS 10 Pro has not become physical?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all.

Are you still having the same problem?

Did you ever post the zip with technical details I asked for a few posts back?:

attach a zip file with the following files:
- a vmware.log file of a recent attempt to start the VM, might be best to include all vmware.log files
- the .vmx file
- all .vmdk files smaller than 128kB
- a filelist from all your files in the folder of the VM, (close VMware Workstation, open a Command Prompt, run dir *.* /oen in the VM's directory)

No more screenshots please.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

[deviennenicolas@localhost Windows 10 x64]$ dir *.* /oen
dir: impossible d'accéder à '/oen': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
vmware-0.log Windows\ 10\ x64-s003.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s010.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s017.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s024.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s031.vmdk
vmware-1.log Windows\ 10\ x64-s004.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s011.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s018.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s025.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s032.vmdk
vmware-2.log Windows\ 10\ x64-s005.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s012.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s019.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s026.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64.vmdk
vmware.log Windows\ 10\ x64-s006.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s013.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s020.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s027.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64.vmsd
Windows\ 10\ x64.nvram Windows\ 10\ x64-s007.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s014.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s021.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s028.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64.vmx
Windows\ 10\ x64-s001.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s008.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s015.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s022.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s029.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64.vmxf
Windows\ 10\ x64-s002.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s009.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s016.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s023.vmdk Windows\ 10\ x64-s030.vmdk
[deviennenicolas@localhost Windows 10 x64]$

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

My apologies on asking for dir *.* /oen, I had forgotten you are on Linux not Windows.

Instead of dir *.* /oen, please attach the output of

ls -lisa "/home/deviennenicolas/vmware/Windows 10 x64"

Also note that you did not attach the vmware.log files, the .vmsd or the small .vmdk files.
You can attach those AFTER you zip/compress them, the forum software probably does not let you attach them otherwise.

Another note.

vmware-vdiskmanager -R "Windows 10 x64-s001.vmdk"

can NOT work, it is the wrong command line.

The correct command line is:

vmware-vdiskmanager -R "Windows 10 x64.vmdk"

The command only works against the full disk, not against a disk slice.

Try that and post back the result, plus please attach the vmware log files as well.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

For the other 2 command lines apparently it gives me that.

0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

First the zip... we're missing vmware.log

Which is the most important log as it is the only one that is from after you started this thread here at the forum. All the other vmware.log files are from before your first post.

Next up.

vmware-vdiskmanager can't run as it is not in your search path.
As you did not get that error in your first screenshot I assumed wrongly that it was in your search path.

Normally it can be found in /usr/bin

So instead your command should then look like:

/usr/bin/vmware-vdiskmanager -R "Windows 10 x64.vmdk"

So try that instead and please also attach vmware.log itself.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

SORRY

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

No problem.

There's a few things I see, but nothing stands out to me as that it could prevent your windows from booting. It also does not seem that the virtual disk is damaged from the host point of view. The virtual disk might be damaged, but only from the guest OS point of view.

I find this error strange

2021-03-02T07:35:21.866+01:00| vmx| I005: UUID: SMBIOS Structure Table Entry Point mmap failed: Invalid argument

but it was also present in your earlier logs, see:

2021-01-25T12:31:24.612+01:00| vmx| I005: UUID: SMBIOS Structure Table Entry Point mmap failed: Invalid argument

So I doubt that it is the reason of your issues.

If you want to exclude that, the solution would be to rename the .nvram file (a new one will be created on next boot, if it breaks things then put the original nvram file back)

But as I say I don't expect that to fix things.

You can also disconnect the cdrom, but only to exclude that you're not booting from that (and you're not)

There's some mention in the logs about a work around for a Linux SMP bug, but -again- that was also there in earlier versions of your log (I see it on February 14) and you had no problems there AFAIK.

Otherwise the test would be to down size the VM to just 1 virtual CPU and see if you can boot.

You have 3D enabled for the guest OS, but the host does not have the drivers available to support that (maybe not even the hardware either, have not checked). You can disable 3D for the VM.

Again that is not new and I doubt that it will fix anything.

Long story short..
I"m not really seeing anything in the log that indicates something is wrong on the VMware end of things. It very much looks like that the problem is in windows.

Did the vmware-vdiskmanager command run this time? Did it give a result?

If there's data on the VM that you need to get out, then I suggest to either one of the following two methods:

1. Try booting your VM via a live CD (a linux live CD works), the linux live session should see the VM's virtual disk, you can mount it and copy your data out via the network OR
2. Create a new windows VM, configure it so that it works. Shut it down then add the disk of your broken VM as the second disk. Boot the windows VM again. It now should have your data on disk D :

Good luck!
--
Wil

0 Kudos
HardelotArques1
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos