VMware Communities
Dietsoda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to remote desktop to VM from any PC other then host.

I have recently installed VMWare workstation and created a virtual machine that I am unable to access via RDP from any machine other then the host.

I am able to access the internet from the hosted vm as well as the machine doing the hosting.

VM IP

192.168.245.128 ip

Host machine vmnet8

vnet1

eth0

I understand that the vm and host can communicate since they are both on the .245.x network but how can I get the vm to pull an IP from my dhcp server so that I can rdp to the virtual machine?

I would appreciate any assistance with this issue.

Lost in the sauce.

B

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At this point how do I configure a Nic on the VM to pull an IP from an existing dhcp server?

To gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network  Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual much less the rest of the documentation. (Also available in the VMware Workstation Help File.)

Then edit the VM's Network Adapter to use Bridged.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will need to edit the virtual network adapter and change it to bridged mode or point to eth0

GaryMclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds like you do not have the network Configured on the VM in the correct way. There are a couple of ways to configure this.

Make sure your VM is configured for Birdged networking. This way, If you want an IP From your DHCP Server which Im guessing is the same as your router 192.168.0.1? Then this should connect your VM to your Internal Network via the Host's network card. a 2ND Mac Address would be presented on the NIC

Dietsoda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not know what to do. I have played with the settings and have no gone back and reset them to default with virtual netowrk settings editor.

At this point how do I configure a Nic on the VM to pull an IP from an existing dhcp server?

B

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network  Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual much less the rest of the documentation. (Also available in the VMware Workstation Help File.)

Then edit the VM's Network Adapter to use Bridged.

0 Kudos
Dietsoda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I initially tried the bridged setting and it didn't work. Does VMworstation require reboots when makeing these types of changes? The first time I didn't reboot the second time I did. If that didn't do then I guess I just missed something some where. Thanks a lot guys/gals.

B

0 Kudos
zacefron1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

It's weird because

I RDP'd initially to 192.168.x.x to a VM and got connected..

Then, I configured adapter number 2 in the VM to talk to another laptop in a network 10.10.x.x ...

Now, I wanted to talk from my laptop to this laptop via the VM ...

BUT !! The rdp doesn't WORK ! no matter what I did ...

But the connection from this laptop to the VM worked !

Crazy.

0 Kudos