VMware Communities
vtkrish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open *.vmdk The system cannot find the file specified

Hi,

My VM refuses to start and pops up an error that vmware is Unable to open *.vmdk as the system cannot find the file specified. However i see the file it complains about on my disk. Also the contents of this file appear to be fine.

I am unable to revert to a previous snapshot either. The error message says:

"Error restoring snapshot:

The system cannot find the file specified."

I have attached the logs and the file list. Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Looks like file ending 000001-s0009.vmdk is missing, has it been quarantined by an AV program?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Looks like file ending 000001-s0009.vmdk is missing, has it been quarantined by an AV program?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
vtkrish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that was it! Restored the file and the VM was able to start up. However the system complained of a disk corruption which it was not able to repair automatically. I restored to a previous snapshot and have a functioning VM now. 

0 Kudos