VMware Communities
Dheeraj06041998
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open kernel device "\\.\VMCIDev\VMX"

Hello,

for the past few months i have been trying to figure out a solution for this problem and i really hav high hopes in this thread!

Here's the problem:-

Every time i try powering on my virtual machine it says

" Unable to open kernel device "\\.\VMCIDev\VMX": Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. Did you reboot after installing VMware Player?

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed. "

I have tried to to edit the .vmx file and replace the TRUE with FALSE next to vmci0.present and i have also tried deleting the file

PLEASE i need help really badly. Specially from the experts.

And if u think that my system doesn't support hardware virtualisation, then that's not the case because i hav previously installed the virtual machine before but i had to remove it for a few reasons! :'(

i also have another problem. i've installed vmware workstation on my external hard drive, so whenever i try to re-install or repair or uninstall my software it can't. it says that the "MSI" failed to install.

THANKS

23 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the easy workaround is to simply set
vmci0.present = "false"

in the vmx-file of all your VMs

probably you will never ever need VMCI as most of the users

Dheeraj06041998
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Well, I just tried it and the message stops appearing.

BUT, now whenever I switch on my machine it boots up using a CD and then the apple logo(since I am using Mac OS X) appears for a second or two and then it restarts again and again until I power off the machine.

thanks

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If your host is a Mac, the only VMware product seems to be VMware Fusion. Or are you using a Mac, and use Bootcamp to boot into Windows?

VMware Workstation is for Windows/Linux but not for Mac.

At least my information. Virtualbox is released for Mac.

0 Kudos
Dheeraj06041998
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

My host is windows 7 and i am trying to install Mac OS X using Vmware workstation.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that will not work - and by the way - is considered as illegal - so we are not allowed to discuss it here

0 Kudos
sannie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Could you please let me know the procedure to make vmci0.present = "false". If i close this kernal device error the virtuall machine will not start.

I thought of re-installing VMware due to this problem, but its not letting me to do that also, its showing an Error 1921: service VMware Authorization Service (VMAuthdservice) could not be stopped.

I tried all ur previous suggetions which u have given to other guys,

• to stop the VMware authorization service, but its letting me to stop. As this is a corporate laptop, I don't have full authorization I guess, only I have the authorization to install the s/w's and I can't go back to him and ask for this, as they will not agree to do so.
  • Also i don have any things under SAM folder.

I use to use workstation 7, but when i upgraded it its showing a problem. Please advise how can I make this VMware workstation 8 work?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
sorry I do not see how the authorisation service is related to the VMCI problem ???

to disable VMCI for a single VM just edit the vmx-file

0 Kudos
sannie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Could you please advise where the vmx-file I can find. Also if possible please provide me a path for the same.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you move the mouse over the VM icon in the library pane the path to the vmx-file should be displayed as a small yellow hint.-

The path to the directory where you store your VMs is something that you specified yourself ... you should know that.

If you misconfigured your explorer to hide known file-extensions the file may  be listed "name-of-the-VM" - Virtual machine Configuration file.
If your explorer is not misconfigured it will display "name-of-the-VM.vmx"

0 Kudos
sannie
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry i did not find the file, so i was not able to change the status of it

Actually the error which i was getting is before installing the Virtual machine. Here i was trying to install the Ubuntu, After selecting the .iso file and specifying whether i want split disk or single disk and allocating the storage space, it's not starting the installation. The error pops up saying kernel device error.

Even I am unable to uninstall VMware 8, so that I could Install VMware 7 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

at the moment WS 7.1.4 IMHO is the best version

I do not understand why you have problems to find your ubuntu.vmx
it should be inside the directory where you created that VM.
Without the ubuntu.vmx there would not be a VM

what happens if you try to uninstall ?
please dont use doc format to post screenshots - use *.jpg or *.png instead

0 Kudos
sannie
Contributor
Contributor

Here I have attached the screen shots of error in .jpeg format.

Yeah WS 7 was good, but when WS 8 was installing, the older version uninstalled, now it is not allowing me to uninstall this WS 8.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

in the 3rd screenshot you see the vmx-file
open it with a text editor and edit the line

vmci0.present = "true"

change the value to "false"

then start the VM again

0 Kudos
sannie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much :), now I m able to install Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
yli3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guy,

Just set 'vmci0.present' to "FALSE" is OK, I'm sure it is useful.

However, if you wana repair or re-install your vmware, you can try my method as following.

1. delete all the vmware files manually, e.g. C:\Program Files\VMware and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware

2. delete all the key which contains string 'vmware' from windows registry.

3. restart your computer

4. re-install the same version vmware and select 'repair' operation.

5. vmware is fixed now.

Then you can uninstall and re-install as well.

I hope it is helpful for you.

0 Kudos
MasterZ123
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You !!! Helped a lot

0 Kudos
ZamanIT
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Concern,

I've badly needed a help about the same problem...... i sent the screen sort of my problem. plz give the solution.......,

another thing is i didn't find .vxm file

thanks.

0 Kudos
brianez21
Contributor
Contributor

Just come to thank you! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
lw4
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you