VMware Communities
Dheeraj06041998
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open kernel device "\\.\VMCIDev\VMX"

Hello,

for the past few months i have been trying to figure out a solution for this problem and i really hav high hopes in this thread!

Here's the problem:-

Every time i try powering on my virtual machine it says

" Unable to open kernel device "\\.\VMCIDev\VMX": Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. Did you reboot after installing VMware Player?

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed. "

I have tried to to edit the .vmx file and replace the TRUE with FALSE next to vmci0.present and i have also tried deleting the file

PLEASE i need help really badly. Specially from the experts.

And if u think that my system doesn't support hardware virtualisation, then that's not the case because i hav previously installed the virtual machine before but i had to remove it for a few reasons! :'(

i also have another problem. i've installed vmware workstation on my external hard drive, so whenever i try to re-install or repair or uninstall my software it can't. it says that the "MSI" failed to install.

THANKS

23 Replies
qasriong
Contributor
Contributor

I found the vmx but its a file that get me to another file...and that file does not have true or false

it goes like this:

docs then VMs then Debian 10.x 64-bit then Debian 10.x 64-bit.vmx.lck then M04698

0 Kudos
mattosaur4
Contributor
Contributor

Also had this problem after incorporating VMWare Workstation into a captured wim for SCCM deployment.

Adding

vmci0.present = “FALSE

to C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\settings.ini

fixes it for me on all newly created VMs after deploying the image to PC's.

Matt

0 Kudos
machobi
Contributor
Contributor

OMG !!! Thank you so much. Setting vmci0.present = "false" is what solved my problem.

Running vmware workstation 16 pro in Windows 10 as host and Fedora 35 in the VM and around 3 weeks ago, after performing a windows update, multiple applications started having network connection issues, including vmware workstation and ALL of my VMs. But the fedora VM is the most important.

The fix was finally re-creating the VMnet0 bridge and the vmci0.present setting change to false. I've been racking my head for weeks trying to get this to work without having to reinstall windows. I know the underlying Windows update problem is still there and since I did not have a recent backup, would probably need re-install windows but so so so glad I got the fedora VM working again for now. Will worry about the rest of Windows later.

0 Kudos
omondib
Contributor
Contributor

It works:)

Cheers bro!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos