VMware Communities
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open file .vmdk. One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Hello,

I am running a large VM on my c:\ drive for the past few months.  I had the original VM located on my d: drive which I had copied over to c.  In order to free up some space I deleted my old VM on the d:\ drive.

Now when I started my VM, I am presented with this error:

pastedImage_0.png

This is strange as all of the files are on c:\.  When I used the Browse... button and located the same .vmdk file on the c:\ drive, I now get presented with this error:

pastedImage_1.png

I had made a complete backup copy on an external drive a few days ago; however when I tried to open up the VM from this drive I received the same errors.

I find this very strange as the vmdk files on my c:\ drive have been accessed recently (i.e. the dates have been modified recently).  Therefore I am hoping there is a way to modify this in order to get it working correctly.

Thanks!

Graham

0 Kudos
34 Replies
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Unfortunately I am getting the same error messages.

Note that I am using the same VMX file and simply modifying it to align to the vmdk file that I am testing.  I am wondering if this is correct - as I am not sure if you are expecting me to restore a copy of it everytime between tries based on this comment in your previous post:

"Please remember that you can go back with the snapshot files, but once the VM has been powered on with that specific file, you won't be able to use a newer snapshot file anymore. That's probably nothing you will need to do, but I just wanted to mention it."

I also noticed that the latest zip file you sent me contains fixes for every VDMK file - but I only ran the fix on the 000002, 000005 and 000006 vmdk files as per your original instructions - however should I also be running it on the Base_I1_Siemensdc_Apr2017.vmdk????  Just wondering...

Graham

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, in order to get a consistent snapshot chain, inject each one of these files into its corresponding .vmdk file.

André

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Ok - I believe that is what I did - i.e.

pastedImage_0.png

I then modified the VMX file to point to one of the other snapshots - i.e.:

pastedImage_1.png

But however when I launch VMware and open this VMX file, I receive this:

pastedImage_2.png

I tried all of the different vmdk files but only the -000001.vmdk file worked.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've updated Re: Unable to open file .vmdk.  One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virt... with the proper metadata fixes (see attachment in the mentioned reply), and instructions, to clarify what should be done.

André

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I followed your instructions and updated each of the vmdk files. I.e.

pastedImage_0.png

Once completed I started with the -000006.vmdk file and worked backwards through the list - I modified the VMX file to point to this and then started it in VM Workstation.  Here are the results.

-000006.vmdk - VM opened up; however DB was corrupted.

-000005.vmdk - VM opened up; however DB was corrupted.

-000002.vmdk - VM would not open up - I received the same error message as previous:

pastedImage_1.png

-000001.vmdk - VM opened up - and the DB was fine inside the VM.

For interest sake, I also tried to use the -000007.vmdk file; however I received a similar message as above when using the -000002.vmdk file.

Although this doesn't look promising - I am wondering if we can check to confirm the fix for the-000002.vmdk file - that would be a much better snapshot for me to go back to...???  Or any other ideas?  I have attached the log file generated after trying to open the -000002.vmdk file.

Thanks,
Graham

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Ok - I re-ran the utility on the -00002.vmdk file, modified the VMX file and opened it successfully.

However unfortunately I am getting multiple system and db errors inside the VM - regardless of the snapshot I load- like this:

pastedImage_0.png

I suspect somewhere along the line I have messed up my internal dbs.  The only one that seems to work is the first one (-000001.vmdk) from September....  I am not sure if there is much else I can do with this VM...

I did find a complete image of my HD from last November - it would at least gain me a couple of months of work if I can open it up.  I may try to do this tomorrow...

Thanks,
Graham

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that the November backup is indeed the way to go in this case.

The snapshot chain with the existing files is broken between 000001.vmdk, and 000005.vmdk, that's why only 000001.vmdk seems to be healthy.

I can't tell you what exactly caused the snapshot chain to become corrupted. Maybe it's related to the fact that the parent disk entries in the metadata are listed with their absolute path names, so a copy of that VM might have had write access to one of the original files on the 😧 drive.

Anyway, if your November backup already had some snapshots, and you didn't delete/create snapshots often after that time, there may be a slight chance that a combination of the files is possible. If this is something that's interesting for you, then extract the metadata from the November .vmdk files using the dfso command, and attach the metadata files to a another reply post.

André

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre - yes I would like to attempt to restore my November backup.  I will attempt this this afternoon when I have time and post it here.

Cheers,

Graham

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I extracted my backup from November to my C: drive.

Interestingly, I got this error message when I tried to run the VM...

pastedImage_0.png

I looked for a -000003.vmdk file but there was none in the directory...odd. This is what my directory looked like:

pastedImage_1.png

Regardless, I cancelled out of this and closed VMWorkstation and ran the dsfo command - I have attached the bin files to this thread...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Strange, it's missing the 000003.vmdk, and the screenshot also shows a .lck folder for a 000005.vmdk file!?

What's also interseting is that the .vmx file shows up with a time stamp of 2/20/2018, which doesn't seem to be from the November backup.

Please ensure that all files from the November backup are restored to a new folder. Then DO NOT power on the VM, but provide an overview:

• list of files (including sizes and time stamps)
  • the metadata from a current dfso export
  • the VM's .vmx, and .log files

André

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I might have screwed myself....I forgot but I tried to open this VM from my backup drive a few days ago (probably on the 20th) when I discovered it...I ran into this same error - that said it must have saved the VMX file at that time...  I left it at that and continued with the version of the VM we were trying to restore at that time...  So have I hooped my backup because of this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm getting confused with all these versions ... 😉

Anyway the fact that you tried to open the November VM from the backup may have modified the time stamps, but it doensn' explain why .vmdk files are missing. The 3 .vsmn files indicate that there should be 3 snapshots, however, only one exists in the folder!?

Unless you can find these files, I'm afraid that you'll have to live with the version that we were able to recover (snapshot 000001.vmdk).

André

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - this is getting very confusing!

OK - Since my original problem was that the VM on my c:\ drive was pointing to a file on my d:\drive, I also extracted my d:\ drive backup.  I believe the missing vmdk files are located here (specifically the -000004.vmdk file which is listed in the -Snapshot5.vmsm).  For interests sake, I ran the dfso command on my D:\ drive folder - I have attached the information.  As well, here is the list of files located on my d:\ vm folder (and yes I also tried to open this VM which did not work...):

pastedImage_0.png

I believe all these troubles started when I copied the VM over to my C;\ drive (because my c:\ drive is a solid state drive and therefore much quicker) - I thought I made a complete copy - but somehow the VM was still looking at some files on the d:\ drive.  I don't think it matters that I made backup copies or not in that once I deleted the files from my d:\ drive it messed everything up.

That said, I was hoping if I could look at this November backup of both C; and 😧 that I could restore the VM at that point in time - this is the only reason why I am attempting this...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, but that also doesn't seem to help either. The two .vmdk snapshot files are from September, and are missing a parent file (so no use for them).

André

0 Kudos
gbartlett73
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.  Looks like I am stuck with my September backup then.  Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Graham

0 Kudos