VMware Communities
kawigraphics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open file ".vmdk". The system cannot find the file specified

This error pops up when trying to start my VMware. I'm new to this VM. Need urgent assistance

Message was edited by: Philip Obonyo Added Filelist.txt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The data that was stored in "Kawigraphics-s006.vmdk" is unfortunately lost.

However, what we can do is to replace the missing file with a newly created dummy file that only contains the required metadata.

The steps I'd suggest are:

1. create a temporary "dummy" VM (no OS installation required) with the exact same virtual disk size, and type (160GB unless I'm mistaken)
  2. copy "dummy-s006.vmdk" to the original VM's folder, and rename it to the "Kawigraphics-s006.vmdk"
  3. create a snapshot for the "Kawigraphics" VM (this way its current .vmdk files won't get modified)
  4. power on the VM, and check the guest file system for errors and/or backup important data

If the VM works as expected, you may then delete the previously created snapshot, and also the dummy VM.

I unfortunately can't tell you what caused the issue, but sometimes such issues are caused by On Access A/V scanning. What you may consider, is to exclude *.vm* files from being scanned.

André

View solution in original post

3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community.

one of the .vmdk files ("Kawigraphics-s006.vmdk") which make up the VM's virtual disk is missing.

Please run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt in the VM's folder, and attach the resulting filelist.txt to a reply post to find out what can be done.

I also recommend that - unless already done - you backup the VM's folder/files at this point in time.

Btw., do you have a recent backup?

André

0 Kudos
kawigraphics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've added it and I don't have a recent backup but I've now created one for future proof

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The data that was stored in "Kawigraphics-s006.vmdk" is unfortunately lost.

However, what we can do is to replace the missing file with a newly created dummy file that only contains the required metadata.

The steps I'd suggest are:

1. create a temporary "dummy" VM (no OS installation required) with the exact same virtual disk size, and type (160GB unless I'm mistaken)
  2. copy "dummy-s006.vmdk" to the original VM's folder, and rename it to the "Kawigraphics-s006.vmdk"
  3. create a snapshot for the "Kawigraphics" VM (this way its current .vmdk files won't get modified)
  4. power on the VM, and check the guest file system for errors and/or backup important data

If the VM works as expected, you may then delete the previously created snapshot, and also the dummy VM.

I unfortunately can't tell you what caused the issue, but sometimes such issues are caused by On Access A/V scanning. What you may consider, is to exclude *.vm* files from being scanned.

André