VMware Communities
Shubham-2302
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to load VMware 16 workstation

Issue: Unable to load my VMware 16 workstation with Ubuntu 20.04 installed.

I am using VMware 16 workstation on my Windows 11 pc. Inside Vmware Ubuntu 20.04 is installed. Recently I was logged out of my VMware and couldn't load it back again.

This issue occurred when I was running low on disk space. I increased the hard disk allocation on my VMware by 10GB but the Ubuntu was still low on space. In my Ubuntu I manually tried to increase the disk space for the Ubuntu partition. Start > disks I manually increased the space allocation to the extended drive on sda1 since and as I was not able to expand my sda4 (ubuntu partition).

Note: I don't have any screenshot of the errors msgs of Ubuntu since I got logged out of VM and couldn't get back up.

Kindly suggest what can I do start the VM again

I have already tried on deleting the .vmk.ICK file on my windows and still no result

E1: My vmware config
E2: Error Log on my VM
E3: Last thing that appears on my screen before going completely blank

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported to moderators, it needs moving to the area for Workstation Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Expanding the virtual disk alone on the VM settings does not make the extra storage available for the guest OS to use.

As you are no longer able to boot up the VM guest OS, boot up the VM using GParted ISO and expand the partition of the guest OS. If you don't know what GParted is, do a search on your preferred search engine.

0 Kudos