VMware Communities
OC_dbk
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to kill vmware-vmx.exe (windows 10) and Virtual Machine doesn't start (black screen)

Hi to anyone.

This post is 80% for share an info with the community and 20% for asking help (just because this is a windows issue and I am not so sure that someone know how to fix it easy)

I never experienced this "known issue" with workstation or player versions until a specific windows update package.

After some tries I noticed a new update made by Microsoft and installed just before the issue began.

Once I uninstalled it and rebooted the system, the Virtual Machine has started correctly.

The package was installed on 10/08/2019 just two days before another one package.

I did some try so, as we know, the first package I uninstalled wasn't the right one Smiley Happy.

After I unistalled the right one I solved the issue but Windows reinstalled them again forcing me :smileyplain: so nowaday i got both packages installed again and my vmware broken again.

The package name is one of those:

a)     KB4512508

b)     KB4506991      ( <--- I suppose this one)

I hope it may help someone

OC

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PlanetMaster
Contributor
Contributor

First sorry to the author.

I can't give an answer about what you want.

but I am having the same issue as your problem.

If VMWare developers seeing this post, please fix this problem.

Please Please.

I bought this workstation but I get the fucking stressed often due to this.

You have to duty to fix this bug.

I am begging you.

Plz

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PlanetMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I can't kill process VMWare Workstation VMX after frozen guest Linux in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
JossBoulement
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have since ~ 3 month the same issue. VM doesn't start (black screen) - can't shut down. I can't kill vmware-vmx.exe. I can't deinstall VMWare because it says one virtual machine is still running.

No reboot helped.

And I don't know why vmware-vmx.exe is still running - all services of vm are deaktivated, no entry in autostart.

Win10 Home 64bix - Version 1903 (Build 18362.535)

Maybe one hint how to deactivat or kill vmware-vmx.exe ?

Thx!

0 Kudos
semo963
Contributor
Contributor

I can't found any way except Full Restart Host using this command :
          shutdown.exe -f -s -t 00

this command will shutdown Host

if vmware-vmx not killed redo it

I can't find another way without restart