VMware Communities
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to install update 15.5.5

I'm getting an error everytime I try to install the new update 15.5.5. Already tried rebooting the system, running VMware in administrator mode, etc. Nothing works...

I tried to attach an image of the error but I couldn't. The error says:

"Install of VMware Workstation Pro failed. Contact VMware Support or your system administrator."

No more details at all...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This time I can see the log. It seems like the installer can not create temporary folder to extract itself. It may caused by some security software protect user's temporary folder.

You can try to clean up you %temp% directory, go to C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Local\Temp, and check if the {7E92D4E3-05FB-4435-B9A2-AE87568D02CA}~setup exist, if it does, delete this folder and run Workstation installer again.

If it still not working, you can try to extract installer by youself with following steps:

1. Create one path as the workspace, for example, C:\workspace, move you downloaded Workstation installer to here.

2. Launch cmd console as administrator, and nevigate to C:\workspace.

3. Run following command one by one

set TMP=C:\workspace

set TEMP=C:\workspace

VMware-workstation-full-15.5.5-16285975.exe /X

4. The splash window will show up, after a while, it exit.

5. You can find the extracted installer in you C:\workspace\{7E92D4E3-05FB-4435-B9A2-AE87568D02CA}~setup

6. In explorer, go inside this folder (you may be told this folder is protected by administrator, click continue), double click the vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exeone by one to install them,  you may be asked to reboot the host to finish install. If so, reboot host.

7. Finially you can double click the VMwareWorkstation.msi to launch the Workstation setup.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi givemeatip,

Thank you for posting your query in Community.

Could you please provide more information such as  host OS information,hardware information and workstation installer logs from /tmp folder?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Host OS information: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 with all updates

Hardware information: Dell Inspiron 14R 5421 with i7 (notebook), TP-Link Archer T4U v3.20US (dual-band wireless adapter, connected to the notebook in the USB 3.0 port), Newlink Combo Sem Fio Advanced CK102 (wireless mouse and keyboard, connected to the notebook in a USB 2.0 port), Smart Tv Led 32" Samsung 32j4290 (connected to the notebook in the HDMI port).

Workstation installer logs attached.

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, givemeatip:

I cannot find the 15.5.5 logs in your vminst.log, there are 15.5.2 log only. Did you see the first Welcome wizard page when you double click the installer?

Could you try to uninstall the previous 15.5.2, then try to install 15.5.5?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, I downloaded the full 15.5.5 windows installer and tried to manually install it. It prompted a UAC warning, I allowed, and it opened some kind of welcome screen for less than a second maybe, and didn't do anything more. I think it closed itself. I'm afraid of uninstalling 15.5.2 and not being able to use VMware again.

EDIT: I just tried running the installer with my Kaspersky AV disabled. Didn't help anything.

0 Kudos
JML54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue. It appears to be related to current Windows 10 Pro. The host is:

• Windows 10 Pro v1909 (OS Build 18363.836) - Installed 11/13/2019
    • Most recent/Last Update: 5/15/2020 KB4556799; plus multiple updates from ‎12/‎11/‎2019.

The initial issue identified as: "Service "VMWare Authorization Service" (VMAuthdService) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services."

When failed:

1. Attempted to back out changes. FAILED.
  2. Attempted to correct/confirm privileges, SUCCESS.
  3. Attempted to reinstall: FAILED (same error).
    1. Attempted to use "Ignore Option" - APPARENT SUCCESS.
      1. Attempted to use VMWARE Workstation 15 Player: FAILED (indicated license required; attempted to provide VMWare Workstation Pro 15 base license; Reported as License invalid.)
      2. Attempted to verify used licenses = to Registered License: Success
      3. Attempted to Launch base VMWare Workstation Pro 15: Success
      4. Attempted to power on VM Client (encrypted): FAILED (Clone of Master Image; Indicated encryption key invalid.)
      5. Attempted to power on VM Client (not-encrypted): FAILED (Original OS Install; failed with message: Unable to open /VMWare Authorization Service" at time of attempt.)
  4. Attempted to use Settings to uninstall VMWare - Not listed. Attempted to locate Uninstall option w/in Start Program List, no option available. Resorted to Revo Uninstaller - Not listed. Used logs to identify VMWare installation content, removed using Revo Uninstaller.)
  5. Rinstalled VMWare Workstation Pro 15 v15.5.2 using base license: SUCCESS
    1. Testing using existing Master and Clone Clients, SUCCESS.

System is Home System, not connected to AD or otherwise used in a Business Environment (All Admin Privileges applied.) Additionally, one iteration of the cycle depicted above attempted to use built-in Admin profile, with same results as original attempt; and still failed to back out changes.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

• It is unclear what the issue is, research indicated signed objects during install w/in current OS requires SHA-2(?) installation object shigning, and therefore triggers the VMAuthdService install failure at 15.5.5 installation.
  • Automated download and install of updated version, on multiple attempts resulted in "Loss of connection with server" during update download phase.
  • Attempted to use Download file version and that version resulted in the above failures.
  • v15.5.5 appears to be corrupt and/or out of alignment with current Windows 10 Pro x64 versions (all pushed updates installed.)

This version appears to align more closely with Live Credential Guard on the current Windows 10 Pro x64 version based on VMWare information FAQ. However, it does not appear to be appropriately aligned to this version, and able to support an installation with or without Credential Guard active. I've turned off Credential Guard 1.5mo ago in the hopes that v15.5.2 would work (last update I have prior to 15.5.5.) It did work and proceeded as usual.

I hope this is sufficient information provide clues to the issue and that a solution shall be found soon.

Jim

Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had the same 'VMAuthdService could not be installed' privileges problem two days ago, when upgrading to 15.5.5 from 15.5.2 on Win7.

I attempted to manually stop the service with services.msc and Windows wouldn't let me either. I thought this was a particularity of my rather aged Windows installation, so I killed vmware-authd.exe with Task Manager (Process Explorer). Then I was able to upgrade to 15.5.5.

Afterwards I had some hiccups with the Virtual Network Editor that were due to my firewall (ESET). Making a 15.5.5 repair installation fixed that. Don't forget rebooting after each step!

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There would popup a splash screen when you double click the installer, shown as attached splash.png, then the welcome page shown up, as the welcome.png, which one is your mentioned "it opened some kind of welcome screen"? Did you see my attached welcome.png during your setup?

The installer may take a while to extract itself into your temp folder, you can make sure the installer is working on that by checking the process table in task manager, as I attached installer_running.png.

If the setup still can't work, attach your %temp%\vminst.log again.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks, Jim.

Have you had trying to uninstall the Workstation by some other 3-party tools? Looks like the Windows MSI database is destroyed. I would suggest you clear up the Workstation installer database and retry the installation.

Following is the step to reset the Workstation MSI database

1. Uninstall Workstation if you can see the "VMware Workstation" in the control panel->uninstall or change a program.

2. open a cmd console with administrator priviledge.

3. run this command:

C:\Users\username\Desktop\Downloads\VMware-workstation-full-15.5.5-16285975.exe -r

(I assume you downloaded the installer here, and use 15.5.5 version, you should change it to your filename.)

4. After this command, you will be prompt to reboot the host.

5. Reboot the host and retry the installation.

You should never use 3-party tools to uninstall Workstation.

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

haiweiz

I know the file takes a while to load, and after that a UAC warning appears. After I allow it, the splash screen you posted is the one that appears next, together with that other smaller box at the right-bottom of the screen you posted as well, they last for less than a second in the screen I think, and close completely. Can't even take a screenshot I think, they close too fast. The process you mentioned doesn't appear at all on Task Manager OR disappears really very fast... can't take a screenshot of it too, might be closing too fast as well.
I attached the %temp%\vminst.log

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you perhaps running a third-party antivirus (aside form the default Windows built-in)? The installer process disappearing in Task Manager is weird...

0 Kudos
JML54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That may be a factor. Thank you for your guidance! I shall examine and determine if it remains in place w/in my Windows 10 Pro installation.

Jim

0 Kudos
JML54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For my attempt the splash panel did present. The two options that were offered were Next and Cancel. No other links/buttons appeared.

Jim

0 Kudos
JML54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the guidance.

Specifically, yes a 3rd Party uninstaller was used. No other option (at launch of the update .EXE). Only a message to update the installation, and nothing specific to uninstall the previous installation.

Though at the end of the uninstall process, all VMWare content (Reg, Folder, Start Link, Desktop Link) had been removed.

A reinstall of 15.5.2 went w/o issue and works w/o issue (including Lic registration/activation.)

The initial event that raised the risk of something out of alignment was the repeated error "Connection to Server Lost" message. This did not appear to be a normal event for my on-line connection, and it repeated despite the fact that all other on-line connections continued w/out issue, both streaming and file downloads along with my VPN tunnel to my work network location (on another device, not my home system.)

So, not sure what was going on with the auto-update, so the reported issue above took up after downloading the product from VMWare site (post-sign on of course.)

Jim

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mits2020

I suspected about that, but Kaspersky Security Cloud is the only AV I'm running and it didn't warn anything. I checked the Kaspersky logs and it didn't block anything as well. And finally, I tried with my Kaspersky disabled as well - same results.

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This time I can see the log. It seems like the installer can not create temporary folder to extract itself. It may caused by some security software protect user's temporary folder.

You can try to clean up you %temp% directory, go to C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Local\Temp, and check if the {7E92D4E3-05FB-4435-B9A2-AE87568D02CA}~setup exist, if it does, delete this folder and run Workstation installer again.

If it still not working, you can try to extract installer by youself with following steps:

1. Create one path as the workspace, for example, C:\workspace, move you downloaded Workstation installer to here.

2. Launch cmd console as administrator, and nevigate to C:\workspace.

3. Run following command one by one

set TMP=C:\workspace

set TEMP=C:\workspace

VMware-workstation-full-15.5.5-16285975.exe /X

4. The splash window will show up, after a while, it exit.

5. You can find the extracted installer in you C:\workspace\{7E92D4E3-05FB-4435-B9A2-AE87568D02CA}~setup

6. In explorer, go inside this folder (you may be told this folder is protected by administrator, click continue), double click the vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exeone by one to install them,  you may be asked to reboot the host to finish install. If so, reboot host.

7. Finially you can double click the VMwareWorkstation.msi to launch the Workstation setup.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks.

Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Kaspersky is good, but as most AV/network protection apps, they log only what you tell them to log and the defaults are not verbose (otherwise we'd have GB of logs). Also, when disabling them, the services are still running and some protections are enabled in order to self-protect. Installing a new Workstation version involves removing 3 new virtual network cards, adding 3 new ones and adding network policies for them in a rather short time - any firewall could mess up the installation.

The last idea I have (although you didn't get any relevant warning messages) is that the VMware installer maybe fails to detect the version of VC++ on your host and silently fails. So try this: run the installer .exe in a command prompt with the /x switch:  VMware-workstation-full-15.5.5-16285975.exe  /x

This will decompress the .exe in your TEMP dir, where you'll see 2 VC installation files and the .msi Workstation installer. Run that .msi and let's see what happens.

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

haiweiz

Thank you very much! That solved the problem. I'm now running VMware 15.5.5 finally and my virtual machines work! However I'm experiencing bugs with caps lock.

0 Kudos
givemeatip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

haiweiz

I would just like to add that I now understand why you couldn't see the log when I first attached it (I think). I was getting the log from C:\Windows\Temp  lol sorry about that. I now understand the correct log is in %temp%

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to know that. we are aware the caps lock issue, it's under investigation.

0 Kudos