VMware Communities
Mordillo98
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install Workstation 8 on Windows 7 x64

I am having this error message when trying to do so...

The MSI 'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\TEmp\vmware_1316976794\vmware workstation.msi' failed.

Error 1723.  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VM_CreateVMwareAccount.7126C806_BF99_11DF_81D2_0CDCDED72085, entry: VMCreateVmwareAccount, library: C:\Windows\INstaller\MSI14EC.tmp

I check if the file exists while the message appears, and I see it.  However, I can't do anything in terms of permissions as it says I am not the owner of it.

I gave the folder C:\Windows\Installer full permissions before a reinstall, and of course disabled my Comodo anti-virus prior.  Same thing.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

did you already try to install VMware Workstation by right-clicking the installer package and selecting "Run as Administrator"?

André

0 Kudos
Mordillo98
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did.

My UAC is also disabled my default.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please double check the md5 checksum of the downloaded installer package, to make sure it's not corrupted.

http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html

André

0 Kudos
Mordillo98
Contributor
Contributor

Did it, and the CheckSum matches perfectly.

0 Kudos
Mordillo98
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently installing a VM with Windows 7 x64.  As soon it's installed, I won't do anything else besides installing Workstation 8 on it and see how it goes (besides disabling the UAC).

If that works, I will uninstall it and install my usual stuff one by one, and installing everytime Workstation 8.

Eventually I'll find the culprid.  Smiley Wink

But any other suggestions are welcome in the meantime.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /z  "action"="install"
may help - worked for me with a similar error

0 Kudos
Mordillo98
Contributor
Contributor

Problem resolved.

The issue is Comodo Anti-Virus (free edition).

Although I exited the software through the system tray (and checked the processes to make sure it's not running), it leaves some residual permission problems under C:\Windows\Installer that makes Workstation 8 not install.

What I did instead is disabled the 2 services and startup under MsConfig.exe configuration.  After rebooting, the install worked like a charm.

I then put back the processes and startup active again, and still Workstation 8 was working fine.

Please be advise for those who uses Comodo anti-virus, I always disable my Defence+ configuration as I prefer use the Windows Firewall and nothing else.  It is possible that some configuration needs to be done there to have Workstation 8 functionnal.

Problem resolved, thanks everyone for the collaboration.

0 Kudos
vmQuint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just had the same problem, except on Vista x64.  I was able to install Workstation 803 just fine, but not 804, 805, or 806 as they gave the 1723 error even after exiting Comodo.  After reading this thread and exiting Comodo again, I could find only one process, not two:

Comodo Internet Security Helper Service

but disabling CISHS in 'services' finally allowed me up upgrade to 806 on Vista.  I am running the full Comodo Suite on Vista, but only Comodo Firewall with G-data on Win 7.  Win 7 did not have any trouble installing any version of Workstation.  I see CISHS is also running on the Win7 machine, so ... I wonder why it worked okay on Win7.  Maybe the Win 7 installer uses a different folder than Vista or permissions are different. ??

Many thanks for your write up.

0 Kudos