VMware Communities
sfisher8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to install Fedora 11 as guest on VMware WS 6.5.2 with Windows 7 as host - using 64-bit hw

Hi folks,

Have done my research but was not able to find answers, therefore here I go posting my question/issue.

I have an HP Compaq nx6125 laptop, which has an AMD Turion 64 2200MHz processor, running Windows 7 Ultimate. I have installed the VMware Workstation 6.5.2 full trial and am attempting to install Fedora 11 on a virtual machine.

I understand that the Turion processor is a 64 bit processor, so I downloaded the Fedora 11 x86_64 DVD iso image.

First I have to create a VMware virtual machine (Guest OS: Linux) and choose a version for it. If I choose a version that is any of the 64 bit options (for example, "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel 64-bit", since there are specific options for RHEL but not for Fedora), I get an error message the moment I try to power on the VM and start the install, saying "The buslogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests in this release...". Then the VM just shuts down.

I guess this laptop does have a SCSI bus, but my disks are IDE and as far as I can see (System Information) the SCSI bus is not used (?).

On the other hand, if the VM I create is any of the 32-bit option versions, I get what seems to be just a warning, saying that I'm running a 64-bit guest OS (Fedora 11) on a virtual machine configured to run a 32-bit OS, and suggesting I change this to ensure the 64-bit guest OS will function correctly. What would be the risks / downsides of forcing the install anyways? Or maybe I should download a 32-bit Fedora image and run it on a 32-bit VM, even though my hw is 64-bit? I don't find this too appealing...

I'm just wondering if anybody on the forum has worked with this combination (VMware WS 6.5.2 and Fedora 11 running within it, preferrable on an HP Compaq 6125 running Windows 7 Ultimate) ? If so, I'd really appreciate some feedback / pointers.

I'm new to the virtual machine world, so bear with me here. Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Regards,

Santiago

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"The buslogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests in this release..."

That message is saying that the "virtual" storage controller you chose to use for your Fedora 11 virtual machine (VM) is not supported for 64bit guests. It's not related to the host hardware.

To change the controller for your virtual machine, make sure the VM is powered off, then open up the settings for it and change the storage controller from BusLogic to LSILogic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"The buslogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests in this release..."

That message is saying that the "virtual" storage controller you chose to use for your Fedora 11 virtual machine (VM) is not supported for 64bit guests. It's not related to the host hardware.

To change the controller for your virtual machine, make sure the VM is powered off, then open up the settings for it and change the storage controller from BusLogic to LSILogic.

0 Kudos
sfisher8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, cdc... that was it! Smiley Happy

At first I could not find the option to change that, and reading through the documentation I learned that it was because I had created the VM with a "Typical" install as opposed to a "Custom" one. I deleted the original VM and created a "Custom" one which allowed me to set that parameter right from the start (it was actually the recommended one).

I triggered the install process and the message is no longer there. I will follow through with install now... hopefully not hitting any other roadblocks!

Thanks again,

Santiago

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problemo. Glad you got it working. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos