VMware Communities
AndreaMazzario
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to import a ShadowProtect image

I am using VMware workstation 6.5.3 on a Windows 7 x64 (this is the release product, I got it through a tech distribution program).

I tried to create a VM from an image of a Vista Ultimate 32 created with ShadowProtect 3.4. Single full dump of the VISTA particion, all defaults no incrementals.

The import starts, but then fails with P2VError IMPORT_SOURCE_NOT_RECOGNIZED(), which is quite surprising, since ShadowProtect dumps are supported.

Attached is the VMWare log

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Andrea

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

don't worry about Converter.

Use the regular StoageCraft BootCD and restore the image into a newly created - blank VM.

Then when done - do not start the system yet - insead use Converter 4.0.1 and dtry to "reconfigure" the VM - to do this you launch converter and specify the newly created vmx-file

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
AndreaMazzario
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help, it worked in a slightly different way: when restoring the image I selected the HIR (Hardware Independent Restore) and that did most of the trick.

I also had to "repair" the Vista installation using the Vista DVD since the boot script was no longer correct, but after that everything works fine.

Andrea

0 Kudos