VMware Communities
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to import OVF Files

Dear All,

Im Running VM Workstation 7. I have some OVF file for Fortigate Firewall which am not able to import or Open in my VMWorkstation.

I am Desperately looking for Help. Please find attach the Screen Shot of the OVF Files.

Cybermate

0 Kudos
20 Replies
JorgeBuitrago
Contributor
Contributor

You cannot import an OVF direclty to Workstation 7. You can either download the OVF tool (http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/ovf/ovf10/ovftool_10_userguide.pdf), or upgrade to Workstation 8, which already has the ovftool integrated (http://www.vmware.com/support/ws80/doc/releasenotes_workstation_80.html)

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Dear JORGE

THANKS for you reply.

I have Downloaded and installed OVF Tool from the mentioned. i am still not able to open OVF Files.

I tried below mentioned ways.

File-->Open(Ovf Directory)

File-->Import and Export

Would you please explain me, it will be a great help

Regards

~Cybermate~

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What kind of errors/warnings do you see?

If it's about compatibility, you may use the ovftool command line with the --lax (relaxed) option.

André

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Please see the Error ScreenShot attached.

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Andre

If youo could share your email tahn i can send the that files which am trying to RUN.

Cybermate

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try to run:

ovftool Fortigate.ovf Fortigate.vmx

if this produces errors, add the relax option:

ovftool --lax Fortigate.ovf Fortigate.vmx

André

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Still not able to RUN on VM Workstation. I have attached the Files please check it on VM Workstation it will be great help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm using VMware Workstation 8. The ovftool does a perfect job and I'm able to open and run the VM.

I'm using VMware ovftool 2.1.0 (build-461994)

command:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\OVFTool\ovftool.exe" Fortigate-VM.ovf Fortigate-VM.vmx

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just to add... I downloaded the OVF Tool 3.0.1 from OVF Tool Documentation and had no problems either.

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing worked i tried. VM Workstation ver is 7

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What does not work?

Do you have trouble with converting the OVF to a VMX or can't you open the converted VMX?

André

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to open the OVF files. If their is  any way to convert it or make it compatible for VMW7 i will do. Actualy am not too much expert in using VM my main motive is to RUN the OVF files of Fortigate Firewall  for my practise Purpose.

Regards

Cybermate

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If their is  any way to convert it or make it compatible for VMW7 i will do

Great, then go for it. Convert the OVF to VMX using the above mentioned ovftool and then open the VM (.vmx) file from the VMware Workstation menu.

André

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to bothering you again and again. Actually i didnt get it how to use that command although i have installed OVF tool. Where i can see that??Is it just a command line Tool??Can i see it in VMW.It will be great favour if u convert the attached files or tell me the step by step procedure.PLZZZZZZZZZ

Cybermate:smileycool:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes the ovftool is used at the command line in either a Command Prompt (Windows) or a Terminal (Unix/Linux) and André has already provided you the basic syntax so I fail to see why you can't do this for yourself.  There is also documentation at the link I previously provided.  Specifically "To run VMware OVF Tool from the command line" on page 19 of OVF Tool User Guide.

The FGT_VM-v400-build0482-FORTINET.out.ovf.zip file you attached contains the following files:

Fortigate-VM.ovf
Fortigate-VM.hw04.ovf
Fortigate-VM.hw07_vmxnet2.ovf
datadrive.vmdk
fortios.vmdk

There are 3 different .ovf files which create 3 different .vmx configuration files for 3 separate VM's that use the same virtual hard disks, although separate copies for each VM.

I extracted these files to a folder on the C: drive named FGT_VM so in a Command Prompt I changed to that directory and the used the FQP of the ovftool and supplied the command line with the following syntax:

ovftool <options> <source locator> <target locator>

For <options> I used --acceptAllEulas so I wouldn't have to page down through and accept the EULA by typing "yes" and chose the Fortigate-VM.ovf as my <source locator> and Fortigate-VM.vmx as my <target locator>.

Using the following commands as shown in the image below it created the following files and these are the files I would then place by themselves in their own folder for the first VM.  (If you want to process the other .ovf files to create the other two VM's the process is the same.)

Fortigate-VM.vmx
Fortigate-VM-disk1.vmdk
Fortigate-VM-disk2.vmdk

(Click image to enlarge.)

ovftool.png

You do not need to worry about the "No manifest..." warnings, in this particular case.  Just gather up the created files to use for the VM! Smiley Wink

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Added link for OVF Tool User Guide.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

cybermate1122 wrote: or tell me the step by step procedure.PLZZZZZZZZZ

See my reply: Re: Unable to import OVF Files

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody!!Thanks alot Man. It converted, but one thing more. Its asking for Login and Password??. I gave but it says not correct?? what could be the issue??

0 Kudos
cybermate1122
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Woody!!

I successfully convert the OVF to VMX Password issue is sorted out. I run the .VMX file but its just a CLI Based is it possible i could get access to GUI.

Do i need to have virtual Applience for that Purpose???

Thnaks again for you co-operation.

Cybermate

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'd suggest you communicate with the manufacture of the Fortigate virtual appliance as to what you can do with it.

0 Kudos