VMware Communities
GeorgeEldridge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to import OVA to Workstation 12 Pro because the scsi disk type is "independent_persistent" rather than "independent-persistent". Is this a bug?

I am unable to import an OVA that has an independent_persistent disk. If I edit the *.vmx file to change "independent_persistent" to independent-persistent" then I am able to import the VM into Workstation 12 Pro. Is this a bug in Workstation 12 Pro? The VMware enum - VirtualDiskMode documentation says that "independent_persistent" is correct.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've done more testing regarding it:

1. Export VM with an independent disk from Workstation then imports it back to Workstation. No problem happens.

2. Export VM with an independent disk from ESXi then imports it back to ESXi. No problem happens.

So it's not a bug with only Workstation or ESXi.

3. Export VM with an independent disk from ESXi then imports it to Workstation. The VM can be imported, but cannot be opened. After I changed "independent_persistent" to "independent-persistent" in the vmx file, the VM can be opened.

4. Export VM with an independent disk from Workstation then imports it to ESXi. The VM can be imported and opened in ESXi. But if you check the virtual disk settings, you'll find it's not independent persistent.

So it's a cross product bug. As they are both VMware products, we should definitely resolve it.

Thanks for reporting this. I've filed a bug for it.

Regards,

Shawn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for using Workstation. "independent-persistent" is correct. When you change a disk from WS UI from dependent to independent persistent, the vmx has correct value: scsi0:0.mode = "independent-persistent"

0 Kudos
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to Workstation Community!

I just checked source code of Workstation, independent_persistent is a variable name. In vmx file, you should use something like this:

scsi0:1.mode = "independent-persistent"

So it's not a bug of Workstation.

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos
GeorgeEldridge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why is it that the vSphere client on an ESX server will import the same OVA with no problem when Workstation 12 Pro cannot?

0 Kudos
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've done more testing regarding it:

1. Export VM with an independent disk from Workstation then imports it back to Workstation. No problem happens.

2. Export VM with an independent disk from ESXi then imports it back to ESXi. No problem happens.

So it's not a bug with only Workstation or ESXi.

3. Export VM with an independent disk from ESXi then imports it to Workstation. The VM can be imported, but cannot be opened. After I changed "independent_persistent" to "independent-persistent" in the vmx file, the VM can be opened.

4. Export VM with an independent disk from Workstation then imports it to ESXi. The VM can be imported and opened in ESXi. But if you check the virtual disk settings, you'll find it's not independent persistent.

So it's a cross product bug. As they are both VMware products, we should definitely resolve it.

Thanks for reporting this. I've filed a bug for it.

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos
GeorgeEldridge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For completeness you should check the behavior against Fusion as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reminder! Although Fusion UI does not have the persistent setting for a virtual disk, the import issue also exists with Fusion. I've involved Fusion team to the bug.

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos