VMware Communities
raghuram
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create clone off a snapshot

Hi,

I am using workstation "5.5.2 build-29772" on linux. When I try to create a clone using the wizard, the option to select snapshots is greyed out. Can some one tell me the possible causes for this behaviour? Could this be licensing issue?

Thanks,

Raghu.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
telfred
Expert
Expert

Which distribution of Linux are you using, including its kernel.

Are you running the VM guest at the time that you are trying to clone it ?

0 Kudos
raghuram
Contributor
Contributor

I am running SuSE 10. Kernel is "2.6.16.13-4-smp". I have shutdown the vm guest before cloning.

Raghu.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot create a clone from a virtual machine that is powered on or suspended. You must power off a virtual machine before you can make a clone.

0 Kudos
raghuram
Contributor
Contributor

It is powered off when I tried to clone.

I created a linked-clone from the "current state" and after that, clone gives me a choice of selecting this snapshot. This is the current state of snapshots of this vm:

"original" => snapshot 1 => snapshot 2 => snapshot for linked clone => "current".

Now clone operation gives me a chance to select "snapshot for linked clone" which is definitely an improvement. Still there is no word about the previous two snapshots. Apparently they are considered unfit for cloning.

Raghu.

0 Kudos
pachakutek
Contributor
Contributor

As someone mentioned, the machine must be powered off to clone.... this means that the if you want to clone off a snapshot, that snapshot had to be taken with the machine powered off. If the snapshots dropdown menu is greyed out, is because you have no powered-off snapshots.

0 Kudos
Patricia64
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on Windows Server 2003. The guest OS IS POWERED OFF (as raghuram tried to tell everyone several times!). I have the 30 day evaluation licence. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Pat

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Were the snapshots taken of a virtual machine that was running?

You can determine this when you look at the snapshot in the snapshot manager and there is a "play" button on the icon?

0 Kudos