VMware Communities
JinxK7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to create a new Virtual Machine with Microsoft Windows10 Preview edition

Hi,

I was using VMware 7 and I experienced trouble while installing a virtual machine with Microsoft Windows10 Preview edition.

So I upgraded to VMware 14. And I have the same problem.I have the following dialog-box telling me that "Unable to create a new virtual machine [..] The Operation was cancelled by the user.

See the dialog-box:

VMWare Issue with MS Windows 10 Preview.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like the file+path name might be too long. Have you tried simplifying the folder and/or VM name so it is shorter?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like the file+path name might be too long. Have you tried simplifying the folder and/or VM name so it is shorter?

0 Kudos
JinxK7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDPetruska, thank you very much. It's fixed.

However, I have an other problem.

Win10 offers a boot manager. Please see the screenshot. I boot normaly and next I have an error messsage

" Unsuccessful-> EFI Network... >> Start PXE over IPv4."

I also tried to boot in an other maners with no success.

Any idea ? Thx.

First screen:

Win10-Boot-Manager.jpg

Second screen:

Win10-Unsucssefull-EFI-Network-Start-PXE IPv4.jpg

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you have the installation disc in the CD/DVD drive, you should select EFI boot from VMware Virtual SATA CDROM

You must click into the VM window once it powers on to send the mouse/keyboard to the VM.

0 Kudos
JinxK7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi RDPetruska, thanks for your patience.

I tried to install the DVD but this is an ISO file. I guess that I need to re-build a standard DVD that includes traditional setup.

However, I had a problem with the "Boot Manager". Sometimes it does not respond/sponds to keyboard actions and mouse (up/down arrow for exemple). Sometime it works fine and I can navigate into the "Boot Manager". However, as a side effect, the Windows (that host the VMware) does not respond/sponds and freezes: keyboard and mouse does not respond/sponds and I need to reeboot severly.

Any idea ? Is there any key-options in VMware that re-enable actions to keyboard and mouse in Windows (that host VMware) ? I tried crt+alt+sup...

Regards

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Physical media in your DVD drive, or ISO image - doesn't matter, as long as the VM is pointing to the correct item (either the physical drive, or select "use image" and attach the ISO).  As long as the image/DVD is bootable, it should detect it.  Make sure the box is checked to "Connect at startup/boot".

Again, click into the guest window after powering on, while the screen is still black, to send keystrokes to the virtual machine.  And when you see the message "press any key to boot from CD-ROM" press a key.

0 Kudos