VMware Communities
velociraptrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to create a Virtual Machine

Hi

I am using VMware Workstation 10 and there seems to be a huge problem here. I cannot create a Virtual Machine. After I finish the 'create a new virtual machine' wizard, it seems to be doing nothing. I even tried opening the .vmx file through the Documents folder itself. No matter what I do, the Virtual machine doesn't open. I think its not being created in the first place.

I am following all the normal steps and have hardware virtualization enabled in the BIOS. Oh, and I checked to see if Virtual Box is running, and it's running fine. The problem seems to be only in VMware Workstation. Can anyone please help me out on this? I have posted screenshot images of what the folders looks like after the wizard completion.

vm folder.jpg

windows 7 vm folder.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
velociraptrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I solved it. Turns out I was using an incompatible software - Windows7FirewallControl by Sphinx-Soft. It was creating troubles for VMWare even after allowing it through the firewall.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

Have you checked the event viewer?

Are all VMware services in running state?

Check your user permissions on folders, where .vmx and .vmdk files you like to create.

Hope will help.

Yours, Oscar

velociraptrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey

Thank you for replying. I checked Event Viewer but there was nothing there related to VMware. (Also, could you mention specifically where should I look for a relevant info in Event Viewer?)

I checked services.msc and all services with VMware prefix were turned on.

I have permissions to the folder where the .vmx file is stored. In fact that folder is in my Documents folder so...

I do have another thing to add, I am creating this virtual disk on C drive which is also my Windows drive. And it only has about 10 GB of free space. Would that be responsible?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why don't you delete the virtual machine completely (using VM --> manage) and then create it again.  Take notes on what happens at each step of the VM creation..

In particular post the vmware.log file which seems to be missing.  If you want first delete the .lck folder and try before this.

0 Kudos
velociraptrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply and for tip on checking .log file. I checked the .log file and it had an infamous 183 error. I checked online and that was related to NAT networking in Windows 7. So this time I created a VM (by removing the networking adapter completely from its settings) and the VM got successfully created. After its creation, I added the network adapter back by going into the VM settings.

Finally got the problem solved. I doubt if VMware guys know about this error since this is a brand new purchase and installation of VMware 10 on my computer and it refused to work. I knew I should have bought a Mac.

Thanks again for your reply.

[EDIT]

Oh God it's broken again. It's really annoying. I can post a log file but I don't know which one to be exact (there are so many). Can you point me towards the right one so I can post it?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With the troublesome VM open in the GUI but not started sine it looks like you can't go to Help--Support-Collect Support Data.  It should produce several compressed files you can upload.  Also, whether or not you think you have solved the problem, if you have not documented, step-by-step the creation of your VM I for one can't provide you with any more help. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
velociraptrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've documented the creation process in a (very small) video footage. http://youtu.be/KBH9Ew8QXyc

Also, I've managed to procure three log files à la carte:

1. Before creation of VM (to highlight settings and scenario) http://bit.ly/1fbuc1L

2. After creation of VM (to check if creation actually worked) http://bit.ly/HuPcVN

3. After opening the created VM (to see what errors it returns). This is also the final log which collectively displays the results in previous log files as well. http://bit.ly/1cASkct

I am out of luck creating the troublesome VM again so I can't post the VM specific collected support data.

0 Kudos
velociraptrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I solved it. Turns out I was using an incompatible software - Windows7FirewallControl by Sphinx-Soft. It was creating troubles for VMWare even after allowing it through the firewall.

0 Kudos