VMware Communities
MohK
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create VM after going through Wizzard.

Hi guys

Im fairly new to Vmware.. So please bare with me

Iv installed the latest(6.5) Vm Workstation on my PC (Vista X64 with SP1, c2d e6550, 4gb ram)

Now the problem is when i click "finish" after configuring the the "New Virtual Machine Wizzard" nothings happens! It just goes back to the main screen(Vm workstation)

Im pretty sure its meant to say "VM created succesfully" or something and start the VM.

It does however create the files in the directory i selected. If i do click on them, Vm will open but nothing will happen

Im at my wits end on this. Iv tried reinstalling with no success.

Im trying to run a Xp Vm and Linux

Regards.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It sounds like what you have done is simply create the virtual machine. Choosing the options in the wizard will build the virtual machine (think of it as building a physical computer). Just like if you built a physical machine from parts, you will need to install the OS on the virtual machine you created. Insert your boot media or iso image, and then use the Settings to connect the cd-rom drive to the media. Power up the virtual machine and the setup wizard for the OS should start up.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
MohK
Contributor
Contributor

HI, Thanks for the speedy response.

In the wizzard it asks me for the Iso or my cd which i have inserted.

How do i start up that virtual machine ? it is not lisetd anywhere. Not even on the right task pane of VM ware. All i have is the home tab and sidebar after creating a vm

Something is not right here. As you can see with Vm1.. When i press finish it just goes back to the menu (VM2)

Regards

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Ah, you're using the EasyInstall wizard. Personally, I'd disable that. Early on during the "Create new VM" wizard, there should be a checkbox to use the Easy Install or not... uncheck it.

Alternately, just specify to Open an Existing VM, and browse to the vmx file you created earlier. You can right-click on the tab at the top once it's loaded, and select "Add to Favorites" to get it to appear in the Favorites list.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Go to the File Menu and choose Open.

Browse to the folder where you created the VM.

Choose the file with the .VMX extension.

It should then show up in the right-side pane of Workstation.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
MohK
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that to.. Still nothing

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Try browsing to the directory that contains the .VMX file. Find it and then double-click it or right-click it and choose "Open with VMware Workstation".

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Are you running as a user with enough rights? Where are you trying to create the VM? Do you have rights to that disk/folder?

0 Kudos
MohK
Contributor
Contributor

tried that also...It just opens up vmware without the hometab.

0 Kudos
MohK
Contributor
Contributor

Yes..Admin

On another Hdd on my machine.

Yep i do

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Running while logged in as the administrative user may not be the same thing as having administrative rights when running the program. If the user access control is enabled in vista, you should instead try and run VMware Workstation as administrator by right-clicking the shortcut and clicking "Run as Administrator". You don't need to do this always, but this may help prevent any access rights issues especially when running off of non-primary partitions. Also, can you post your log file? This would mean reproducing your problem, then going to Help > About and finding the file listed next to "Current UI log file". This file will be deleted when you close the program, so you will want to make a copy before you close Workstation.

0 Kudos