VMware Communities
raghu6763
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to copy files & folders from VM Guest (Windows7, Windows10, Kali linux) to VM Host (Linux Mint 19.3)

Hello everyone,

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 on my Asus X407UAR laptop.

I have VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.2 installed with Windows 7, Windows 10, Kali linux guests.

Yesterday i got an update to VMWare to version 15.5.6.

After update to VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.6, I am unable to copy any file or folder from VM Guest to Host.

I am getting an error like "Error when getting information for file “/2yRtyN/signed-Stormshield_SSLVPN_Client_2.8.0_en_x64.msi”: No such file or directory".

This is the case with any file I try to copy from VM Guest to Host.

I am able to copy files & folders from Host to Guest VM.

What could be the issue.

I have even uninstalled VMWare workstation and reinstalled it.

Being new to Linux I am finding it very difficult to understand what could be the issue.

The path keeps changing for every file I try to copy, another error message when I copy a different file.

"Error when getting information for file “/xcQ9QK/vpnclient-darwin-4.9.01.0280-universal-k9.dmg”: No such file or directory"

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please check your Virtual Networks Editor - it should look like 482917_482917.jpg

If you do have 3 virtual networks you are OK.

In WS version 15.5.5 & 15.5.6 do not use "Automatic" for bridging, use the actual hardware from the drop-down list (see above screenshot)..

0 Kudos
raghu6763
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Mits2020,

I have not used automatic bridging for any of the adaptors.

Attaching the screenshot of my virtual network editor.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The file paths change because host-guest transfers are using temporary files and maybe there's a permissions problem.

Have you tried using Shared Folders?

0 Kudos
raghu6763
Contributor
Contributor

I can use shared folders, but have to add the share folder manually to all the VMs.

Thats not something i want to keep doing.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I understand your situation, but does the Shared Folders feature actually work normally in your installation?

0 Kudos
raghu6763
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,

Shared folder is working normally when I checked with Windows Guests (haven't checked with a Linux guest as of now) and mapping them as a network drive.

This is a temporary fix till there is a solution to the issue.

0 Kudos
mzoWare
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution yet (besides using the shared folders)?

0 Kudos
raghu6763
Contributor
Contributor

not yet.

this problem might not get any fix in linux.

i have gone back to windows 10, just because of this.

for me, linux is not working out as a host, linux will remain a guest in windows 10 for now.

0 Kudos
JohDMcMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. Did a bit of troubleshooting and TLDR it looks something like the TEMP folder prefix isn't being set correctly for LInux. I tried a few experiments to override it but wasn't successful. Hoping below inspires someone to nail down the root cause

Setup:

-Ubuntu 20.04 host

-Ubuntu 18.04 guest

-vmware player 16.1.2 build-17966106

Notes:

-Copying from guest to host fails, however the files are present in the cache (~/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop). A good workaround is to rip the files out of the cache. For attached example file is ~/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop/dtHq3C/zomg.txt

-Suggests TEMP can't be changed directly in say .vmx: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Change-VMwareDND-from-TEMP-to-other-loca...

-Tried to create /tmp/VMwareDnD, but didn't help. Files do get symlinked there though

-Tried this but didn't help (same error missing file prefix): TEMP=/tmp/VMwareDnD /usr/bin/vmplayer

-Can copy files from host to guest no problem

-Copy/paste works both directions

0 Kudos
TéJi2
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here 😞

0 Kudos
TéJi2
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here BUT on same host (debian 11), i have some VM accepting C/P to VM and others not.
cannot find why...
i tried 3 new VM with same iso install than a C/P not-working VM. and all 3 work for C/P !!!!
Then i was thinking "new VM work, old not"... (REM : old = created on old VMware version.
i created a new VM, with old vmdk disk from "C/P not working VM". then only the "c" disk is old ... not working !!!
desinstall/resinstall vmwtools.... not working !!!
cannot undestand why some work and others not....

0 Kudos
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

Hey I Have the same issue but its on linux host but people here give me 100% such helpful answers like installing open-vm-tools reinstalling it doesnt work but hey its 2023 has anyone fixed this issue i really need this fixed

0 Kudos