VMware Communities
MoinKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to compact Hard Disk

Hi,

I am running VMWare Workstation 7.0, the host machine running Windows Server 2003 Std. Edt. 64bit, the Guest VM OS running Windows Server 2003 Std. Edt., the Hard Disk IDE maximum size is 300GB, and current size is 254.6GB, within the guest VM the size is showing 127GB in windows explorer.

Is it something wrong with VMWare? any fix for this issue?

thanks,

-Moin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You configured a virtual disk of 300 GB which occupies 254 GB on your physical disk and the guest which uses this virtual disk shows that 127 GB are used?

That sounds not bad, when you have choosen that the disk space should not be allocated at once while you created the virtual disk. At some point the usage of the virtual disk was up to 254 GB once and got less after that (down to 127 GB).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
A13xxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the guest os should show the size of the disk you have allocated. have you increased the size of the disk or just added a new one? If you have extended the size of the vmdk you may need to do a rescan of the VM so the new size is displayed from within the storage manager of windows 2003.

Do you have vmware tools installed and what controller type are you using? LSi?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to reduce the physical size of the .vmdk you can use the "Shrink" option from within the VMware Tools. But only thin-provisioned disks can be shrinked (but as you physical .vmdk doesn't has a size of 300 GB it seems to be a thin-provisioned one).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
MoinKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, at one point the VM Disk was around 254GB, but now the VM Guest using only 110GB, and I would like to compact the actual VMDK file to the size of use space within the W2K3, but when I ran the Compact utility from VM properties -> Hard Disk -> Utilities -> Compact, nothing happend, it didnt compact the size of VMDK. I would like to reduce the size of VMDK so I can use that space but it seems like the Compact functionality within the VMWare WorkStation 7 is not working.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the compact function works - but you want the shrink function - read AWOs post

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
MoinKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Whats the difference btw Compact and Shrink? I only care to reduce the physical VMDK file, if shrink can reduce it let me know where from I can run the shrink utility?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you have the vmware-tools installed ...

start the guest - right click vmware-tools systray icon and select "shrink"

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos