VMware Communities
FireGod
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to backup vmdk file

I am unable to back up my VMDK file. This is happening on a couple of my VM machines but not all of them.

It has the exact same security permissions and ownership as the other files in the directory and I can backup or copy the other files. I can back up the other VMDK (second 60GB disk) file on the same machine with no issues. I have tried everything I know and have scoured the kb and other sources but I'm having no luck.

Workstation will not clone the machine stating permission is denied. Every time I change the ownership and try to copy it, windows says I need permission to copy the file from the current owner.

The VM is not running nor is Workstation running at the time.

I have tried while running with explorer elevated to administrator but no luck. I have tried to ZIP it but no luck. I tried to rename it but no luck. I have run the host in Safe Mode but no luck. I have changed to the Administrator account but no luck. My account is an Administrator.

The VM runs perfectly with no issues. It appears that Workstation is the only piece of software that will access the file.

Any ideas?

PS. No, the Read Only is not checked in the file properties.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Try to clone the disk using vmware-vdiskmanager:

eg.

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r sourceDisk.vmdk -t 1 destinationDisk.vmdk

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
FireGod
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks wila but I got the following error:

Failed to convert disk: You do not have access rights to this file (0xd).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Then either use VMware vSphere Converter standalone to clone the VM or if you can't use that then use a boot CD in the guest to clone the disk to an image.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

One thing that is perplexing is that you appear to be able to change the the ownership (not sure if you changed any of the specific account permissions though).

So, just a few things, some of which I'm sure you may have already checked or carried out, sorry, but back to basics I'm afraid:

• Are you able to make a copy of the VMDK file to the same directory, i.e. open the folder containing the file, select and right click on the file and 'copy' then 'paste'.
  • Have you tried copying it to an alternative location other than the one you've been using, and, also to an externally connected removable storage device (e.g. USB).
  • Are you able to do a 'Full' clone of the VM within the VMware Workstation, and if successful, then can the cloned VMDK file be copied.
  • Depending upon the outcome of the above list, and if not successful, then are you able to copy this specific VMs folder (rather then just the individual files).

Assumptions check:

• All the accounts are out of the 'box', with no additional ones added, and is not part of a Domain.
  • Ownership of the file is the logged in user (local account).
  • Local permission such that the Administrator and System (local accounts) permissions set to 'Full control', Authenticated Users set to 'modify/read,/write/execute', Users (local accounts) 'read/write'
  • In the Advanced permissions settings for the file in question, it inherits from the parent objects, i.e. the button to the bottom left says 'Disable Inheritance' ?

After checking all of the above, and If your feeling brave, and the VM in question is not critical, then, one action you could try is to toggle the Inheritance button, so that its removed and then put it back to inherit the parent objects. 

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Following on from this, what was the actual error message you were getting, does it change depending upon any individual action taken, and what messages are in the Event Viewer.

0 Kudos