VMware Communities
Luis_Medina
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to access internet from VMware workstation

I have VMWare workstation 6.5 and I am not able to access the internet from my virtual machine. I am running Windows XP SP3.

I had and issue with my ethernet card in my computer and I allowed Dell rep to get remote access to my computer. We ended up removing uninstalling the device and then reinstalling it and the ethernet card now works fine in the host computer. Soon after that, I opened my virtual machine, and was not able to access the internet from my virtual machine. I uninstalled and reinstalled VMWare workstation 6.5 and I was able to get access to the internet. That was on Friday 3/6.

I came back to work on 3/9 and now I cannot get access to the internet again.

Under Virtual Network settings, I have tried the following with the same result

1. Automatic bridging for VMnet0 and

2. Associating the ethernet card to VMnet0.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm assuming that you have made sure the NIC is set to power on connect? Have you also re-installed the vmtools?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Luis_Medina
Contributor
Contributor

Kyle,

Yes, to both questions.

I just changed the virtual machine's Ethernet configuration from Bridged to NAT, and I am able to get internet access again.

Luis

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Is there still the need to get it running with the bridged vNIC or do you continue with NAT?

AWo

VCP/vExpert 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Luis_Medina
Contributor
Contributor

AWo,

It is currently working with NAT, but I would like to know what is the correct configuration for bridged VNIC.

If you have any recommendations, let me know and I will try them.

Thank You.

Luis Medina

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I doubt this will do anything but have you thought about removing the NIC from the virtual machine, powering it on, then powering down adding it back in and starting it back up again so it thinks it has a new NIC under bridged mode?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Have you checked that the bridge protocol is enabled in the network settings of the physical adapter?

Have you disabled all firewalls for testing?

Does the guest get an IP address via a DHCP server (if configured to use DHCP)?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP/vExpert 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
fredee
Contributor
Contributor

I and my friend also facing the same issue.

When we using NAT, the VM works fine, however in bridge network, it can't able to access Internet... Smiley Sad

Anyway can help?

0 Kudos
fredee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AWo

1/ In bridge network, I have another real workstation in the 192.168.0.X network, it works fine, so the Routing and Remote Access should be normal.

2/ No Firewall in the network.

3/ Tried to configure the DHCP Server also failure

0 Kudos
fredee
Contributor
Contributor

I had removed the original one and binded new NIC, but it also fail to access Internet.

0 Kudos