VMware Communities
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Install VMware Workstation 8 on Windows XP service pack 1 machine

Hi,

I am trying to install the VMware workstation 8 on windows XP SP1 OS, the set up ran normally for few steps and gave me the error as "error 1723. there is a problem with this windows installer package". For more details about the error kindly check the attachment section.

Any suggestions and solution to resolve this issue will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

@

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Try this solution. go into c:\users\"username"\AppData\Local\  then right click on "temp" and choose "properies". Choose "security" --> edit --> add, and add the username you are using, and give yourself all rights. then try to install.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Since the OS is windows XP, i went to this location C:\\Documents and settings\Administrator\Local settings\temp-->right click-->properties-->sharing and gave the temp folder access for sharing but still got the same error

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Follow this.

• sfc/scannow
  • Microsoft fix it tool
  • Checked the status of windows install services (it was in operation)
NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have VMware Converter or an older Workstation version installed ?

It may help to manually remove the vmware-vstor driver before you try the installation.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i do have the vmware converter tool. Appreciate if you can share the steps to manually remove the vmware-vstor driver

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Uninstall Converter and reboot.

Then check registry if the vstor service still exists in the registry.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies, i misinterpreted your last reply. The windows XP machine doesn't have any vmware converted installed.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You *might* need to have XP Service Pack 3 installed as a minimum.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

so it will  not support on SP1 and SP2 ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Whats the problem with adding service pack 3 ?

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

we are using some old application to run the robotic machine and that application is working on XP SP1 and windows 98 machines. Though we need to do additional configuration on XP platform

So i would like to install the workstation 8 or higher version on the XP machine SP1 and make a vm of windows 98 in order to have 2 options to access the application.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have an existing vstor-driver in registry before you try to install WS 8 ?

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

No, i installed the XP OS from the scratch. And how can i check the vstor drivers existed in the registry?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

First check wether you have the specified file in windows\system32\drivers

Then check wether you have an entry in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've checked thoroughly and didn't found the vstor drivers file in the  windows\system32\drivers location.
Also, i checked the entry in the registry as well but couldn't found the vstor file, however when i checked the controlset  i found three folders with the name Current Controlset, Controlset001, Controlset002 and i checked all these folders and vstor file could not be found.

0 Kudos