VMware Communities
javadba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu terminal interaction problem - unable to install java

I have installed 10.04 directly from downloaded iso.  I can't install java because unable to interact with the terminal window properly. specifically in the screenshot I can not click the "OK" button (or for that matter use the red scrollbar buttons).

I DO have vmware tools successfully installed - able for example to copy and paste to the host clipboard.

This is really frustrating. help appreciated.

stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What happens if you just click into the window and press Enter or after clicking into the window press the Tab and or Arrow keys and Enter?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What happens if you just click into the window and press Enter or after clicking into the window press the Tab and or Arrow keys and Enter?

0 Kudos
javadba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

tried all of those ..

i have attempted this installation a half dozen times, each time trying any assortment of key strokes that you would expect in a dialog.  I am a keyboardist by nature - so that comes naturally.

Note that in the meantime, I have started installation on an Ubuntu SERVER ONLY. In this version,  the terminal based keying is working properly .  the DESKTOP version (which includes the XWindows GUI) does NOT work. It seems that there is some problem with the terminal-based dialogs when X windows is present ??

I am just not sure if this were an ubuntu workstation issue or a vmware player issue.  I am guessing the former at this point, since the SERVER version (which lacks XWindows) is working fine even though it too is running in vmware workstation.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried not booting to X Windows or dropping out of X Windows and installing?

0 Kudos
javadba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

turns out I had NOT tried TAB (had tried space, arrows, enter, etc). my bad here..

0 Kudos