VMware Communities
MeanOldTeacher
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu in WS 6.5 on Windows?

Hello,

Have any of you tried to install Ubuntu Linux 8.04 or 9.04 in a VMware 6.5 workstation virtual machine running on Windows XP or Vista? I've tried both Ubuntu versions using both the scripts supplied by Ubuntu as well as the basic OS installion files themselves. The installations always end up in one of two ways: Either the installation simply never makes it through to the end or if it does, any directories/files I create after the installation disappear permanently when the machine is powered down. I know that with anything pertaining to Linux there's usually a secret handshake or something else the general unwashed masses are not priviy to and I need to know what that is in this case.

Thanks,

Ray

0 Kudos
4 Replies
el1971
Expert
Expert

Hi,

used both versions of Ubuntu with Windows XP SP2 as Host OS and VMWare Workstation 6.5.2. Could you please give further details about the messages you receive when the vmware-tools?

Regards,

Edi

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since you mentioned that your directories/files disappear after power down, can you please check the hard disk mode which you have chosen for the virtual machine? e.g Independant non-persistent?

Edit settings VM > Hard disk > Advanced settings

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

You could try to download Ubuntu as a virtual appliance. That way you won't have to install it manually - and vmware tools is also installed.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1224

MeanOldTeacher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions. I first tried 's suggestion regarding the virtual appliance and it worked perfectly the first time (just as if I were doing a Windows installation). Since I had already wasted so much time trying the normal installations I decided to just stop and use the appliance.

Ray

0 Kudos