VMware Communities
abramm
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu Saucy 13.10 - Workstation 10 for Linux "Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine""

Why won't VMware fix this on the most popular Linux OS?

There are reports of this issue dating back years!

These are the symptoms. As you can see the 'X' used to close the windows is not drawn properly.

vws10.1fail.png

root@lpc:/home/abram# vmware

(vmware-modconfig:17461): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-tray:17540): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(gconftool-2:17933): GConf-WARNING **: Failed to load source "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf": Failed: Could not make directory `/root/.gconf': Permission denied

(vmware-unity-helper:17930): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

There must be over 20 reports/discussions of this elsewhere.

None of the suggested solutions have worked for me.

Installing the following and reinstalling Workstation 10.0.1 hasn't helped.

ii  gtk2-engines-murrine:amd64                              0.98.2-0ubuntu2                      amd64    cairo-based gtk+-2.0 theme engine
ii  gtk2-engines-murrine:i386                               0.98.2-0ubuntu2                      i386     cairo-based gtk+-2.0 theme engine
0 Kudos
1 Reply
skitheo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I saw this with Mint 17. The following cured it for me, along with not being able to display the client full screen and the VMware Workstation 10 menu only displayed "File" :

sudo apt-get install libgtkmm-2.4-1c2

HTH,

Theo

0 Kudos