VMware Communities
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ubuntu/Kubuntu 20.04 and WMware Workstation

When I installed Kubuntu 20.04 on my machine, Workstation 14.1.7 would not install properly.  It complained that vmmon and vmnet were not present.  These ordinarily are generated when Workstation is installed, but VMware seems to lag behind in creating appropriate update modules.  After a lot of research, I found the following solution, which worked flawlessly (which is more than I can say for me), so I wanted to share it.

The following sequence of commands works for Version 14.1.7:

*********************************************************************************************************

VMWARE_VERSION=workstation-14.1.7

TMP_FOLDER=/tmp/patch-vmware

rm -fdr $TMP_FOLDER

mkdir -p $TMP_FOLDER

cd $TMP_FOLDER

git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git

cd $TMP_FOLDER/vmware-host-modules

git checkout $VMWARE_VERSION

git fetch

make

sudo make install

sudo rm /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1/libz.so.1

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1/libz.so.1

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware restart

*****************************************************************************************************

I found this solution at https://superuser.com/questions/1328401/vmware-workstation-vmmon-broken-on-ubuntu-18-04/1330890

I do not know who devised it. As long as you set the first line to the version of Workstation that you are actually using, you're in business.

2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That version of Workstation was released more than 12 months before that version of Kubuntu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know, and thanks.  But some of us old-timers are still using 14.

0 Kudos