VMware Communities
serranomorante
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu Desktop, boot stops after expanding disk size | VMware Workstation Pro latest version

Hi.

I was trying to build a big app from inside my Ubuntu Desktop virtual machine. I got out of space. I received a desktop alert, something like: "Insufficient disk size..." or something like that. I immediately turn off the VM and went to

Virtual Machine Settings -> Hard Disk -> Disk Utilities -> Expand Disk Capacity

I expanded my VM disk size from 50GB to 100GB. This VM is on a disk with sufficient space, more than 400GB. 

Tried to boot my VM but then it stops as in the screenshot below.

I have no idea what ended up happening. I have no idea what to do.

Logs on Pastebin. This editor doesn't let me exceed 100K chars.

Logs on Pastebin 🔗 

vmware_QXJEz6t31O.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It looks like you expanded the VMware virtual disk at the Windows host but the Ubuntu guest OS partition size remained the same; so as far as the guest OS is concerned it is still low on space.

You can use a tool like gparted to expand the guest OS partition. There is gparted from the Ubuntu LiveCD ISO or download from gparted.org the gparted ISO file. So boot up the VM using either ISO and use gparted to expand as needed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It looks like you expanded the VMware virtual disk at the Windows host but the Ubuntu guest OS partition size remained the same; so as far as the guest OS is concerned it is still low on space.

You can use a tool like gparted to expand the guest OS partition. There is gparted from the Ubuntu LiveCD ISO or download from gparted.org the gparted ISO file. So boot up the VM using either ISO and use gparted to expand as needed.

0 Kudos
serranomorante
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It did work! Thank you ♥

0 Kudos