VMware Communities
sqllady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 9.10 not working in Vmware Workstation 7

My OS is Windows 7 pro and I am using Vmware Workstation 7. I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed and it is powered OFF.  It did work at one time but is not working now. I get 'permission on file - cannot locate VMDK errors".   I want to upgrade to VMware Workstation 8. Should I go to control Panel and DELETE Ubuntu 9.10 BEFORE installing Workstation 8 or will the upgrade fix whatever  errors I am getting?   Any suggestions and/or ideas will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From what you wrote it would be interesting to check the NTFS file permissions of the VM. You should check the files by using the explorer. Where is your VM saved/stored? Have you moved it?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Correct me if I'm wrong in tryiing to userstand you.  Your host is Windwos 7 pro and you created an Ubuntu VM using WS7.  You wish to upgrade to WS 8  If so I have to assume you are using the Windows version of WS.  If so, uninstall WS 7 (you can use Control Panel o remove WS 7 but I think a cleaner way is to use the WS 7  installer program you have, run it as if you going to install it, There will  appear a screen to reinstall, modify or remove the program. Choose to remove the WS product..  If you do this  you probably will want to keep your license - assuming you bought the   product in the first place.Either way the  instatller/uninstaller won't touch the Ubuntu VM you created.   Install  WS 8.  See if you can locate the VM using the "open existing VM" - from the home page.  It will be much easier to find it if you have used the default settings in 7. See if you can power it on.  If you get an  error (missing .vmdk file - wahtever)  it's probably not worthwhile to rescue. If you have data on sthe VM ;you created using 7 the recovery process will be difficult even it is possiible  But then again it appears not be working anyway. Recreate Ubuntu 9.10 VM susisng WS 8

If my assumptions about your setup are incorrect please specify much more clearly than you have and  either  I or somebody else will probably get back to when they have a chance.

Good luck.

Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From what you wrote it would be interesting to check the NTFS file permissions of the VM. You should check the files by using the explorer. Where is your VM saved/stored? Have you moved it?

0 Kudos
sqllady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your post.  You are correct. I am using vmware workstation 7 on windows 7 pro. Here is the full error message I get: Unable to open file"\D:\users\sharong\documents\virtual machines\ubuntu910\ubuntu910.vmdk":insuffficient permission to access file.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
sqllady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I have fixed the problem. I have not used this VM in over 6 months. I changed the permissions to Admin. since I am the only one using the desktop.

I have downloaded the workstation 8.  Should I delete Ubuntu 9.10 in control panel and start over again with the new version ?   I am learning on the fly.

thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Everybody starts off  as a novice.  Don't worry about - takes time - years and years dependining on the depth  and the requirements you need.

Anyway you do not remove the VM using Contdrol Panel.  It is essentially another real computer.  VMware Worksation is needed to remove it - use the "delete  from disk"  option iin ManageVM.  It will delete all leftover files cleanly so you can reinstall  the Ubuntu VM in the usual default location and name. .  Look at tahe online documentation avalible  thorugh the program itself (help).    It's noit really the  point of this user  forum to provide a tutorial.  There ar e many besides the companys - seek and you will find

sqllady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok. I understand that the upgrade of workstation 8 will see that this is an upgrade and will uninstall workstation 7 for me. 

thanks for your help.

0 Kudos