VMware Communities
JimmyG64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 22.4 LTS Multi monitor when cycling results in sinlge display with sliders

Cycling monitor layouts after booting a Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 VM does not appear to extend the VM's output to the other monitors.  It just outputs the feed for all monitors to the original monitor but now with sliders (that do work however the screen coordinates are off so mouse clicks do not hit their target in the slider controlled GUI).

Hardware: Dell XPS 9500 Intel Core i7-10875H 64GB Ram & Docking station WD19TB with two monitors
VMware® Workstation 16 Pro (16.2.4 build-20089737)
Host OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 19044.1889) 10.0.19044
VM OS: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
  - Linux 5.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 4 18:03:25 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  - GNOME: 42.2
  - Windowing system: Wayland
  - VMWare Tools: 11.3.5.31214 (build-18557794)

If the Ubuntu 22.04 VM is rebooted and while booting, before the first GUI is shown, the desired monitor layout is selected then multiple monitors work as desired. Also when multiple monitors are working, the monitor layout can be set back to a single monitor and then toggled back to multiple monitors with success, as long at the multiple monitor layout is the same as the initial layout selected at boot.  If a different multiple monitor layout is selected then It just outputs the feed for all displays to a single monitor but now with sliders.

Has anybody else seen this and or know of a workaround that is better than rebooting the Ubuntu 22.04 VM to change its multiple monitor layout?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies
gbfordster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep. Same issue.

Have tried re-installing tools etc. but no go unless I frantically try to set the monitor layout as the VM is booting as you suggested.

0 Kudos
TexasLabRat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, same issue here. The same VM image works correctly with multiple monitors on a different Windows computer host, and a VM image of Ubuntu 20.04 works fine on this Windows computer host. 

I just installed latest updates for Ubuntu 22.04, which included an open-vmtools update, but to no avail.

Anyone have answers for this?

TexasLabRat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a fix!

Disable Wayland and reboot!

Here is how:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-enable-disable-wayland-on-ubuntu-22-04-desktop

dennisbernaerts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks man ! The line was commented out and I remove the comment and it was already set to false by default and it worked. 

0 Kudos
dterry25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry but it didn't work for me and i think i just broke the system

YapperDapper
0 Kudos
dterry25
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still having trouble configuring multiple monitors, I enable and disable Wayland and that didn't solve my problem

YapperDapper
0 Kudos
gbfordster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You need to disable Wayland and then log out and back in again.

I.e. uncomment or add the following line:

WaylandEnable=false

Don't re-enable.

0 Kudos