VMware Communities
kryptto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 20.04 installing upgrade VMWare Workstation Pro 16.2.0 fails to complete Wizard Hangs

After having 16.1 Workstation Pro installed properly and working, was prompted for automatic upgrade.  Ran installation, start the VMware Workstation application, prompted to agree to EULA, etc, when making past Participation, Yes/No, click finish, just hangs, never finishes, same results running Player as well.

Have completely removed the application, performing an install, tried installing 16.2.0 on its own, same issue.

Tried downgrading to prior version, same result after complete remove.

Used the following: 

sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

Uninstall, completes 100%, however cant get past setup GUI wizard for EULA.

This has now also negatively impacted VMware Horizon client, which never executes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kryptto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I figured it out on my own just in case other run into this Ubuntu "bug" here is what i did.

I went to the VMWare Workstation documentation, and ran the installer through console and not GUI.  The reason I didnt do Console, is the EULA acceptance, you cant just speed down to an acceptance using console, so line by line, and there are plenty, you painstakingly go through.  This avoids the bug in GUI mode. 

Remove: vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation 

Install using --console

Then similar steps using VMHorizon, however Horizons GUI is a mess, text is the same color as background, it is better to use Console.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kryptto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I figured it out on my own just in case other run into this Ubuntu "bug" here is what i did.

I went to the VMWare Workstation documentation, and ran the installer through console and not GUI.  The reason I didnt do Console, is the EULA acceptance, you cant just speed down to an acceptance using console, so line by line, and there are plenty, you painstakingly go through.  This avoids the bug in GUI mode. 

Remove: vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation 

Install using --console

Then similar steps using VMHorizon, however Horizons GUI is a mess, text is the same color as background, it is better to use Console.