VMware Communities
gilleslapene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 18.04

I Have a  problem with Ubuntu 18.04.

When I install the vmwaretools in Ubuntu 18.04 guest (Vmware Workstation 15.5, Windows 10 1903 host) after restart, I can't log in ubuntu, no screen appears i have a black screen.

(

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How did you set up the VMware tools? I mean which procedure do you run to set up VMware tools?

Do you have bash shell access? (use alt + f1 / f3 when the ubuntu comes up).. you need to check the system logs in the /var/log directory

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How did you set up the VMware tools? I mean which procedure do you run to set up VMware tools?

Do you have bash shell access? (use alt + f1 / f3 when the ubuntu comes up).. you need to check the system logs in the /var/log directory

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
sk591
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

- Please confirm if you have done the ubuntu vmtools setup via the steps mentioned in the link: https://vitux.com/how-to-install-vmware-tools-in-ubuntu/ Or you ran the apt-get install open-vm-tools command?

- Kindly confirm the version of VMware Tools installed.

- If you are able to ssh to this machine? Can you uninstall the vmware tools and then try re-installing them?

0 Kudos
gilleslapene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes i confirm i install vmwaretools official and not open vm.

I'm a teacher my students install ubuntu 18.04 in same PC and same config, in some computers it works and others do not.

I don't test with ssh. I test tomorrow.

Thanks you for all.

0 Kudos
ant3351
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've same trouble with recent Ubuntu 18.04 update. Googling around found some workaround and now I'm stuck with Ubuntu (as guest) screen resolution.

Using official vmwaretools or open-vm-tools-desktop have same issue.

0 Kudos