VMware Communities
mltsy
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 18.04 guest reboots on wake when host is sleeping (suspended to ram)

I'm not sure where the issue is (in Ubuntu, VMWare Player, vmware-tools...), but if I have my Ubuntu 18.04 guest running on my Windows 10 host and I put my the host to sleep for more than a few seconds, when I wake it up, the guest reboots immediately from scratch, following which, Ubuntu pops up a dialog sayign "Ubuntu has experienced an Internal Error" and sends something like this error report: Bug #1433320 “systemd-journald, udev, logind crashed with SIGABR...” : Bugs : systemd package : Ubun...

I've attached the vmware.log there in case it is helpful.  It sounds like the problem might be the watchdog daemon not suspending properly, and I'm not sure if the fix for that would be for vmware-tools to send a signal to watchdog or for VMWare Workstation to send different signals to the guest, or for something to be changed in Ubuntu.  Whatever it is, it's very frustrating, as it happens every day.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do not suspend your host to RAM when you have VMs running - just dont do it.
You will safe yourselves a lot of trouble if you follow that rule.

0 Kudos
mltsy
Contributor
Contributor

Huh... well that is one option I suppose! That's quite a limitation to put on the usefulness of VMWare though - and it would seem to be an unnecessary one in most cases.  I don't want to have to keep my computer awake constantly any time a VM is open, or have it hibernate and increase the startup time (I'm not sure hibernating even works correctly).

I haven't had this problem with VirtualBox, or running Ubuntu natively, so it seems like something that should be a fixable issue.  And I prefer to use VMWare because it's slightly faster than VirtualBox, and I really value being able to use Linux without shutting down and rebooting the computer into another OS.  I really can't claim entitlement to any support or level of service, because I don't use it for commercial use, and haven't paid for the Pro version, but... I certainly am happy I haven't, if this ends up being a limitation I would just have to put up with to continue using it! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I haven't had this problem with VirtualBox ...
You are right - several features that simply work as expected in VirtualBox are "experimental" in Workstation :smileycry:

0 Kudos