VMware Communities
Virtual2010
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 14 64-bit guest works, for a couple of minutes and then freezes

I have a brand new HP Envy 15.6" FHD laptop with an AMD A10-5750M 2.50 GHz APU with Radeon Graphics. I installed VMWare Workstation 10. I created a new virtual machine from the latest 64-bit Ubuntu iso. It seemed to go smoothly. But the Ubuntu guest will freeze after a few minutes for each of the 5 or 6 times I have tried it now. Is this situation of a VMWare guest consistently freezing after a few minutes unique to my experience?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

this should certainly not be the case. Please attach the vmware.log file from the VM's folder to a reply post to see whether it contains any hints about issues that are related to the VM's configuration. (Click "Use advanced editor" to attach files). In case you do have the virtual CD-ROM drive "Connected", you may try to check whether the VM still freezes with the CD-ROM drive disconnected.

Make sure you attach a vmware.log file which was active when the VM experienced the issue.

André

0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

And make sure your hardware are in  HCL list..

0 Kudos
Virtual2010
Contributor
Contributor

If I google VMWare HCL list I get to this page

VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search

and I cannot figure out how to find on that page, what the hardware is that Workstation 10 runs on.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The hardware requirements for Workstation 10 are in http://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-10/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.ws.get_started.doc%2FGUID-BBD199....  Your system should be fine.

With your VM powered off, please add the following configuration option to the .vmx file:

monitor_control.log_vmsample = TRUE

Boot the VM, and capture the output of /proc/kallsyms for safe-keeping (e.g. "cat /proc/kallsyms > ~/kallsyms").  Copy that file from the VM to the host.

Let the VM run for a little while after it stops responding, shut it down, and post the vmware.log file here as an attachment, along with kallsyms.

0 Kudos
Virtual2010
Contributor
Contributor

I am prepared to upload the files if there is a freeze, but what has happened is that after I changed this notebook's (HP Envy with AMD A10-5750M APU)  bios to allow hardware virtualization (HP turns it off by default) I have not had a freeze. The freezes in the past were all consistent and would happen after maybe 5 to 10 minutes).

Does running a 64-bit guest OS require hardware virtualization to be set? I know that on my other laptop VirtualBox would not let you install 64-bit OSes unless it was.

0 Kudos