VMware Communities
gneuner
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 14.04 client: tools display problem

Hi all,

I am trying to get a 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS client working with Workstation 8.0.4 (yes, I know it's old).

I'm not sure how to describe this, so please bear with me.   After installing vmware tools, the client screen resizes with the workstation window (as expected), however when the workstation window is made wider than about 1024 pixels (guesstimated), everything shown on the client screen is replicated as if there is 2nd screen starting at that ~1024 pixel offset mirroring everything on the 1st screen.  Client windows can be positioned anywhere on the screen, but if moved past the "limit", their ghost images sometimes wrap around on the left side of the display.

The VM display settings are "auto detect" with the default maximum of 2560x1600.  I have tried changing the display settings to set a particular resolution, but it doesn't help.

This happens regardless of which gui manager I install and I get the same behavior using open-vm-tools instead of  workstation's tools, so I am guessing it is a Ubuntu problem  (or at least an X server configuration problem).  However, it's one I have not seen before and I have no idea how to fix it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
0 Replies