VMware Communities
rizlaw
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 12.04LTS: Unable to install VMW tools (8.0.3) into WinXP VM after using Technical Preview

I am now running VMWorkstation 8.0.3 (patched) on Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit.

Prior to 8.0.3, I was using 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 11.10. I then upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and switched to the Technical Preview of Workstation to run in Ubuntu 12.04. I never manually installed "Tools" from the Technical Preview. However, I believe, on Windows VMs "tools" are installed automatically. I'm believe this happened as I recall opening VM Tools and saw "version 8.9.1 build 646321" as some point while using the Technical Preview.

I recall reading that when uninstalling the Technical Preview it's necessary to uninstall the "tools" installed by the Preview otherwise you can't install new "tools" from another version of Workstation 8.0.x.

Before I uninstalled the Technical Preview, on the last occasion I used my WinXP VM  it popped up a notice indicating that "tools" were NOT installed and that I should install them. I did not install the TP "tools" and assuming that the pop up was correct, went ahead and uninstalled the Technical Preview.

I then installed VMW 8.0.3 with a patch I saw in one of the posts about getting 8.0.3 installed on Ubuntu 12.04. I entered my serial number, and proceeded to open my WinXP VM. I tried to install "tools" for 8.0.3, but couldn't. Every time I try to install "tools" from 8.0.3, I keep getting the error message that "tools" cannot be installed because there is a later version of "tools" already installed.

All backups of my WinXP VM do not go back far enough to a time before I installed the Technical Preview.

Is there a way to install the VMware Tools from 8.0.3 with having to create a new WinXP VM?  Or am I hosed for good with this XP VM?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Try to reinstall you VM again with the TP and TP tools siill instttalled  Then uninstatll the tools from the drop down option in the VM tab.  A GUI should launch and run the tools GUI presenting  a norrmal opton about whether to uninsatll.  Uninstall TP  tools  Then launch your guest after reininsatlling  the 8.0.3ver  .  TheTP tools  should not be installed now  and thie GUI for the 8.0.3 appears. Instatll these tools normally.  Check that these tools are operating by time sncying with the host for example. If feasible in your environment reboot the host after    every uninstall of the VMware program  (just like Windows itsself ,ugh>.

Note  The TP Vmware tools are a different animal from 8.0.x Tools - the icon in the  task bar basically does nohing - background services are stared in the background but no way to access them except perhaps an external program like Firedaemon   - I haven't tried   this tho.  They are workinig  this but TP is a beta of course and won't be supported directly by VMware Inc.

Your VM is not hosed.  Try fiddling around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You many only have the opriion to re-insatll Tools from thie pull down  menu.  In that run the guest GUI and choose remove from that dialog. I can't be certtain t because a) I'm at ga friends machine and b)( I haven't actually done this - but experience leads me to think it very well should work.

0 Kudos
rizlaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. They didn't work. The only menu option I could get was "Reinstall Vmware Tools" and everytime I tried, it failed with the same error message: later tools already installed. There was no option to uninstall the Technical Preview tools anywhere.

Out of frustation I did come upon a solution. I opened a program I had installed on my WinXP VM called "IObit Uninstaller". I figured the TP "tools" had to be installed like any other program in Windows so the uninstaller might see it and possibly uninstall it as well. I was right. The uninstaller was able to remove the TP "tools". In the process, however, Windows went nuts and started to pop up all sorts of windows including the fact that "this copy of Windows has changed since it was last registered" and that it is an unauthorized copy! I just love Microsoft.:smileyangry:

Anyway, having removed the TP Tools, I was then able to install VMware Tools from 8.0.3. I had to bend a knee and do an online reauthentication with the MAN to get rid of the "you're a thief" warnings.  Now everything is back to normal.

0 Kudos